Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Calculator not giving the right answer and not functioning well

HP 10bII+ financial calculator

I have just bought the calculator and I found out it was not functioning well. I follow the calculation show by youtuber but it gaves me a different answer from what youtuber showed. For example:

step 1: clear everything

step 2: 0 CFj

step 3: 300 INPUT 4 CFj

step 4: 600 INPUT 2 CFj

step 5: 2000 CFj

step 6: 300 INPUT 3 CFj

Step 7: 5 I/YR

Step 8: SHIFT NPV

Youtuber answer showed 3983.60, but mine 4922.46.

And when I cleared all the memory, I pressed shift down + C ALL, the screen showed " 4  P_Yr", but I saw the manual book showed "12  P_Yr"

4 REPLIES 4
Wedle Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Anyone met the same problem like me? Any solution?

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
500 487 79 144
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If your screen says "4 P_Yr", then it's currently set to 4 payment periods per year.  The P/YR setting is the most common source of confusion on financial calculators.  Just key 12 [P/YR] to reset it to the default of 12 payments per year.  The [P/YR] key is accessed by pressing the orange (down) shift key, then the [PMT] key.

If that doesn't return the result you're looking for, it could be that the cash flows are annual, not monthly.  In that case, try setting the number of payments per year to 1.

Finally, be sure to read the manual's explanations of the [P/YR] key, as well as the [×P/YR] key (shift N).

If none of the above helps, please let us know!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP or anybody else.

-Joe-
Wedle Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The answer still not the same with what youtuber showed. Now mine become 5,170.05, but the correct one should be 3983.60.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
500 487 79 144
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Did you try pressing 1 [P/YR] as suggested? I just now tried it, and got exactly the answer you're seeking (3983.60).

If all else fails, try performing a master clear by pressing ON *and* N *and* FV all down at the same time, then letting them go. Then set 1 P/YR, and re-enter your cash flows.  You should get a NPV of 3983.60.

-Joe-
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation