Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKova
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Can i somehow implement a CHOOSE box when using INFORM command on HP 50g graphing calculator ?

HP Recommended
HP 50g graphing calculator

Hello dear HP Community , 

Can i somehow implement to have an CHOOSE box when "standing" in INFORM interface.

If you did not understand a tittle i want to tell you can I somehow manage to have a dropdown menu like 

CHOOSE box for selection. So let's suppose that in INFORM i have one empty space and when i press ENTER key on keyboard then

CHOOSE box appears with a plenty of solutions , and when I choose solution from CHOOSE box than i want to see that 

solution right back on INFORM "interface" from which i begin all those things.

If you did not understand me , I want to make a program which will be able to act in a way like this :

1. When  in INFORM input "interface" there must look something like this 

Inside INFORM "interface"Inside INFORM "interface"

2. step - when i press ENTER key or maybe any random key if possible then CHOOSE box menu appears in a similar way which will be available in picture below . This is some sort of dropdown list

CHOOSE box with number three as chosen oneCHOOSE box with number three as chosen one

3. step - when i choose something from drop down list , i want to get back that thing which i chose to INFORM "interface" from which i started whole operation. 

selected option from CHOOSE box on INFORM "interface"selected option from CHOOSE box on INFORM "interface"

Also i did not mention but I'll mentioned this now - I want to make that with User RPL style of programming ,

if possible 😃

Thanks for your help ,

Josip Kova

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ,

I don't know how long this message is being here on HP Support Community and yet i don't get any reply so I asked myself if i was not clear at the time when i make this post.

Generally i want to find a way how to from selected option in "choosebox" return that solution , which is bye the way result of choosing option from "choosebox" window into "inform" window ?

I hope that i clarify my question now and if not clear please go back on my previous message in which i posted some photos which describe what is my actual intention. 

If someone knows please reply faster ,

Bye 🤗

0 Kudos
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Josip -

The Advanced User's Reference Manual description of the INFORM command doesn't mention anything about being able to use CHOOSE dialogs with INFORM fields.  If there's a way to do that with User RPL commands, it isn't apparent in that guide.

It is possible to do what you want with System RPL, but that's beyond the scope of your question and would be much more complicated than any standard approach with User RPL.

Hope this helps!

- David

0 Kudos
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear David ,

Thanks a lot for your reply on my question.

I see that you mentioned that is possible to do , what I'm asking , with SysRPL .

Are you familiar with this ?

Can you specify where can i learn how to code in SysRPL and also it will be great if you own code for this situation. That  would be helpful.

Best Regards 🤗,

Josip Kova 

0 Kudos
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Josip, this book is in my opinion the best place to start learning System RPL for the 50g.  There's no "fast and easy" way to do it, you simply have to start going through it to learn the basics.

Using the SysRPL version of the INFORM command (ˆIfMain) is complex and takes a large amount of setup to work properly.  There's an entire chapter dedicated to it in the document linked above.  I wouldn't recommend creating something like this as an initial project in SysRPL, because you really need to understand the basics pretty well before trying to use something like ^IfMain.

Section 35.7 of that manual includes the code for an example of how to set up IfMain, and taking a quick look at that will give you an idea of how much is involved in setting up even a simple form for input processing using IfMain.

JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear David ,

So based on what I saw what you're writing in your messages I came to conclusion that coding for this is not easy ( in SysRPL ) and that's why you can't or maybe any member of this community create a code for this particular case because it takes so much knowledge. 

Also I want to know what is needed to succesfully start programming in SysRPL on your opinnion ?

I download a book which you send to me as SysRPL tutorial ,but also I want to know if any computer based program exist for doing SysRP coding like , as example HP User Edit 5 were for User RPL programs.

Also I want to know if i manage to learn this stuff very well , is it for sure that i can make a program for in tittle described situation by using SysRPL ?

Thanks man , and thanks for your previous replies too 🙂

Best regards ,

Josip Kova

0 Kudos
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've made several apps that use forms for personal use, but the code is too large, too specific, and too customized to use as any kind of example here.  All you need for an example is already in the previously-mentioned book, so sharing my apps here would only complicate things unnecessarily.

To create an example that directly mirrors what you've shown in your pictures would actually require a non-trivial amount of effort, and me or anyone else other than you doing it would do little toward helping you learn.  It's not that the code is so complex, but setting up the form requires a fair amount of code (which can vary depending on development platform) and it would generate a lot of questions that would be counter-productive to your essential goal.

As to what is needed to experiment with SysRPL, the 50g itself can compile SysRPL code and execute it.  You do need to have an entry points library installed (see Appendix A in the referenced manual for a description of some of the development tools available).  My own personal preference is to use a computer-based development system so that I can see and edit files more easily.  As such, I use Debug4x.  It's old and has a quirky interface (based on an old Delphi model, I believe).  It still works on my laptop, though, and provides a great platform for developing in SystemRPL and emulating the 50g for debugging purposes.

I honestly think you would be better off spending more time getting used to User RPL before trying to learn System RPL.  Having a good grasp of the programming model in User RPL will help you better understand what is happening with System RPL. 

JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi dear David ,

Even you gave me a best solution and even i marked your solution as best ... Still i have doubts about some things in process of learning this language SysRPL. ( or maybe issues )

So first my question will be - What I need to have physically on HP 50g graphing calculator to emulate programs written in SysRPL ?

I found some code on the internet and i think that code must be working because i found him on HP Museum Calculators webpage, but when i type syntax on HP 50g graphing calculator ( physically ) commands are written under ' ' ( single quotes ) and it were unrecognized by my calculator. Though , I was on RPN mode.

Can you please , specify ( if you know ) what I must to have in order to work programs in SysRPL on calculator physically.

Thanks and bye bye 🤗

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation