Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EladLending
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Can one choose certain "Catalog functions" of the HP Prime and save them as "User Functions" ?

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator

I'm trying to customize my HP Prime. One useful thing would be to select a few often-used "Catalog Functions" from the fifth tab on the Mem (physical) button and save them either in the 4th tab  "User Functions" or as (virtual) soft menu buttons, say in CAS mode or in Home mode.  But I can't find a way to do this, and it takes a long time to either scroll through the myriad functions in the "Catalog", or to type the function in manually.  There should be a better way. Ideas?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Joe_Horn
Level 8
623 610 118 208
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The fastest keyboard access to functions can be obtained via customized key assignments in User Mode (see the HP Prime User Guide, pages 571-576). This lets you assign any desired function to any valid keystroke after pressing User (which activates your customized User Keyboard for the next keystroke only) or by turning User Mode on (by pressing User twice) which turns the entire keyboard into your customized User Keyboard until you turn User Mode off.

Another way to access often-used functions quickly is via their keyboard shortcuts. For example, if you use the Gamma function a lot, it can be accessed in 3 keystrokes: Toolbox (Math), 8, 2.  Although this method requires you to remember totally arbitrary shortcuts, it becomes easy if you really use those functions often. And you won't have to switch between the Math and CAS tabs often, because the Home-type functions are in the Math tab, and the CAS-type functions are in the CAS tab.

You can also create your own functions and/or programs, and save them with short names. Then you can type their names quickly, or quickly access them via the Toolbox User menu.

I hope a future firmware version will allow the built-in menus to be customized, or at least allow users to create their own custom menus.

Hopefully others here will offer other suggestions as well.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Joe, that really helped.  (In my version of the User manual, it starts on page 561, not 571!)  I join you in hoping HP will give more options in future firmware editions.  Elad

0 Kudos
Inkwave
Level 2
8 7 1 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First: I have not been on such a forum for a long time...I think that I am replying to the same Joe Horn that I knew in days of old when the PPC was active. Hello again...nice to hear your voice 😉

I have not used a non-RPN calculator since 1975, when I sold my TI-71, bought a 25C, and never looked back. I still use my 15C on a daily basis (I think that the 10 series is the best format ever for a calculator, though I admit that the Prime is thin enough to make it more convenient). Old habits die hard, but one of the key reasons is linked to this thread. I moved ahead in other ways to finally settle on the 50g. Somewhat unhappy with the low screen res for such a powerful calculator, but given the time, I suppose that it was adequate. I still use it because tailoring it to my needs is so easy.

I recently purchased the Prime G2, and have mixed feelings. It seems that the display is a very nice display, and it is very fast. Plus all the other bennies...but there are some notable shortcoming in light if my usage. One if these is the custom menu limitations...or so I see them at this point. HP Prime Graphing Calculator UG 3E 201712.pdf, p 615, addresses the user mode, but not how to assign anything to the soft keys. Perhaps I have not read enough of the manual. I use the 50g expressly because I have installed an extensive user softkey menu that addresses many of my needs, and I can quickly scroll through them using NEXT and PREV. I don't see an analogue here...yet...I can, it seems, write my own user programs, and access them via the Toolbox, which I intend to explore. I use a handful of convenient short programs on the 15C nearly every day, making use of the dedicated user keys and a few simple tricks.

I don't want to reassign any keyboard keys, especially when I am staring at a whole row of blank soft keys in the Home view. It's unlikely that I'll use the current User function, because it means remapping the keyboard, and I am reluctant to do that. Toolbox > User > MyProg is likely to be my route. I can see the User mode being useful to someone who wants to remap a key...I can see that for alpha keys, for example...and the process to do that seems to be made easier, according to the manual...I guess that one must then run the program to complete the assignment, though the manual does not say.

Is there a thread for comments about the current manual? I found some [apparent] mistakes, some grammar flaws, and some deficiencies...I'd like to post them for general consumption in the hopes that HP will update the manual. I don't find the Prime as useable in many ways as the 50g, as powerful as it is, but I will see what I can do to modify it to meet my needs. The emulator is a great help, because I can have it running, use and external editor to create programs, etc., and quickly test them.

I  wanted to work with vectors, so I looked in the index. No joy. So I thought, well, maybe they are part of matrices...again, no joy...and a few more searches /mentioned/ vectors, but not how to work with them...I eventually stumbled (remember, new to the Prime) on [] and ran a few tests to put me on track.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another nearly happy HP calculator user, possibly stuck in a rut of being comfortable with old habits 😉

~R~

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Inkwave :

You can see this single programa, from Ediie Shore ... http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2014/02/hp-prime-programming-very-simple-game.html

Too, with ... http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2016/09/hp-prime-mathematical-calculations-with.html

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
623 610 118 208
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I'm the same Joe Horn from the PPC era. Those were fun days.

In my reply above (8/18/2017), I wrote, "I hope a future firmware version will allow the built-in menus to be customized, or at least allow users to create their own custom menus." As you discovered, this has not yet happened.  Prime is simply not as customizable as HP's RPL models.  So if you don't want to use USER mode, then learn the most efficient key sequence for each of your most-used functions, and train your "muscle memory" to press those keys for those functions. Most functions are accessible in very few keystrokes.

Happy Priming!

Disclaimer: I still don't work for HP, and I still enjoy playing with their calculators. 🙂

-Joe-
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation