MaureenOD
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Converting logarithms to decimals

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator

How can I get my HP Prime Graphing calculator to answer log to base 2 of 3 with a decimal instead of LN(3)/LN(2)?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 207
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are several ways, depending on whether you're in Home or CAS.

In Home view, the most efficient way is to use the LOG key to type LOG(3,2).  This returns the decimal value of logb(3,2).

Another method is to type logb(3,2) Enter, then EVAL(Ans) Enter. EVAL is Shift comma.

In CAS, any of these methods work:

-- Type LOG(3,2.) noticing that LOG is spelled in uppercase letters and the 2 has a decimal point after it.

-- Type logb(3,2.) with a decimal point.

-- Type logb(3,2) Enter, then press the [a b/c] key to approximate it.

Since CAS is intended for exact symbolic math, and Home is intended for floating-point number crunching, I'd suggest using the first option above, namely LOG(3,2) in Home.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
MaureenOD
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately EVAL(Ans) just gives me  the same ratio of two natural logs.

LOG(3,2.)  gives me [LN(3) LN(2)]

Inputting the function is not the issue.  I can enter logs to whatever base I like from the menu on the key with Units and C.  What I need is the answer in the form of a decimal number instead of an exact value based on natural logs.

I tried the "a b/c" button earlier and it had no effect. Since then I have been messing around in the settings menus and now it works.  

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation