Intern
35 27 1 4
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Decimal Hrs to Hrs, Min, Sec ?

HP Prime Graphing Calculator
Other

Tim stated, "I'm not able to reproduce any problems with digit grouping and DMS/HMS on my Prime running the latest version. Could you please provide more details so I can see if there is still an issue to resolve here?

Thanks!

TW"

I finally figured out to enter the expressions to go from (decimal Hrs) to Hrs, min, and seconds, but it dsplays as N°  N' N"  Is there anyway to get nH, n', n" and also is it possible to store this as a function that can be recalled as it's tedious to have to type it in all the time?
Where would I find my software version?  I just purchased the calculator from Amazon within the last month.  It's the SA version.  I like this calculator better than a TI-nspire-CX I have because the Nspire is really difficult to navigate, but I noticed the Spread Sheet on the Nspire is stronger and more functional.  For example rows and columns can be added and I believe deleted as well, but the HP Spreadsheet App appears to be very limited.   Also on the Apps Home screen it seems that you can rename and save apps as a way of saving your work, but it seems I should be saving documents not replicating Apps.   How would one address a file tree and save work, not entire apps?  Perhaps I don't understand how to work this calculator,  I see amazing things, but then this unit conversion thing is quite clumsy.  There's an Android RPN app that mimics the old HP calculators and it has H:M:S conversion as a button on the face.  Even the $2.00 Casio / Android clones have extensive unit conversion features that are easy to use.
13 REPLIES 13
Teacher
Teacher
96 89 1 15
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  GRB43,

There is a DMS on the prime it is on the Alpha key E.

It will convert DMS or viceversa  you have to key in the  DMS

by pressing that key for each number then if decimal you can convert back by this same key.

Let me know if this helps.

101bil

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
35 27 1 4
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is helpful in two ways.   First, I learned about the key, and I see you can multiply 1°00'00" by a decimal hour and come up with Degrees, minutes, and seconds.  for example 1°00'00"  * 7.87 results in 7°52'12"  I guess there is no way to get the "°" to display has an "H".  Nevertheless it's better than nothing, and I can store the 1°00'00 in Alpha E as a constant.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
96 89 1 15
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

That key will change Degrees, minutes, and seconds. to decimals or viceversa.

and there are several other ways to do this, but this is the fastest way. I do not know what mode of entry you are using.

I use this in Textbook and RPN You can also used the Enter key with this,but you have to put thkey in this order when using

the DMS as 10 D 20 M 30 S this means you will press the shift then the E key each time you place the next number on the display. This calculator will do what you want just as a HP 35 convert these numbers. All with that one key.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
96 89 1 15
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi GRB43,

I just now read what you wrote about the " H " as you know DMS and HMS are the same on the calculator.

Down thru the years these keys have changed just like the P to R and the R to P and the Hp 35 does not have them.

So there are ways around this including using programs for these keys but it does have the HMS keys. The HP 35s

is a good companion calculator for the Prime. It cost around 60 Dollars and it uses RPN programming.

Hope all this helps.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
96 89 1 15
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again GRB43,

I forgot to mention, that you can download a HP35s  emulator to see if you like to buy one

just athought. also I use a macro RPN on my prime , two HP ppl  programs will run  this programming system.

Kept in touch,

Best regards,

101Bil

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
35 27 1 4
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help with the conversion issue.  I decided to order a top of the line Casio.  I already have a CASIO fx-CG50 and discovered its CAS system is stronger than the Prime's.   I have several high end calculators and none are really to my full satisfaction.  A lot depends on your purpose.  One of the best all around calculators is the Casio 115ES Plus.  It's just an under $20.00 scientific calculator, but for most things it is the best.   I like the HP-Prime but Im somewhat shocked by some of  its short commings. It's surprising it can be beat out by a Casio that is sold for about 1/2 the price of the Prime.  But Iike I said, much depends on the particular use you put it to.   I'm actually using mine to learn math.  I think all these handhelds may be entirely  supplanted by software calculators on smart phones.

I will continue to use the Prime and in all likelyhood will have more questions.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
96 89 1 15
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi GRB43,

I promote, any Brand of calculators but my reason for using one is surveying.and I have used many brands

since the 1970's. I switched from TI's and casio's and Sharp, because they did not offer the programming back at that time

that  i needed to use. Back then RPN was a new language then .HP introduced the HP48GX that was RPN but the programming was RPL.Now the Prime  is HPPPL. but has 3 ways to enter.The HP35s is the last RPN scientific calculator made today and will run in algebraic mode ,if that is what you like.Programming is in both modes. Plus you can indirectly access memory with 801 storing registers with the 26 other registers. You can also write and store your own equations. Kept in mind this is not a Graphic  calculator. But like I tell everyone use what you like and what you know how to use. But learning how to use RPN can take time if you have never used it. But it can change your math world. So download the HP35s emulator and the manual on your PC ,and try it out. Always here to help if I can.

Best Regards, HP for Life,

101Bil

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
35 27 1 4
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought RPN might have been an original language for calculators because I remember old ones years ago that had an odd way of entering calculations.  I have an HP35/HP12 emulator on my  Android phone.  It's a good app.  I think RPN is over rated and not needed as processors have become more powerful.  RPN is a good system, you just have to get used to it.    I'm using the HP-Prime at the moment to expand the Binomial Theorem, and  it works better than the others for that.   The calculator that is the most frustrating is the TI-Nspire.  The interface is very user unfriendly, although it is a very powerful calculator.   My RPN machine is going to be the HP50G.  The Prime can do RPN too.  The Casio I ordered has many reviews which state the interface is extremely nice, so time will tell. Surveying is interesting.  I've never done it, but I do know traditional celestial navigation.  All that has been replaced in large part by GPS.

Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3426 3364 167 513
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @GRB43 :

You can see, this example ...

HMS_1.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation