Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sideshot
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

Solved!

Degrees Minutes Seconds in programming and program entry...

HP Recommended
HP PRIME

I have a couple questions and possibly a suggestion if no solutions (for the hp dev team, if you're reading this);

As a surveyor, I utilize H°M'S" for angular operations and functions. In programs, WHY WHY WHY doesn't Shift+E work to drop in the ° ' " into my angles???? Is there a whay to activate it; can you help me with this? Currently I have to Shift+9 and hammer out the degree minute and second symbol independently; it's cumbersome. 

And, (this is more for the dev team) PLEEEEEEEEEEASE, is there an option, can it be added back in, is there a work around for us to decide whether to run the calc in decimal ddd.mmss (like the old 48gx), or d°m's"? 

One more thing on the DMS/HMS soapbox.... When calculating angles, there isn't a way to round in HMS! If I truncate or round in programs, the HMS angle rounds up erroneously.

Well that's all. Efficiency is the name of our game; production is what we're paid for. And errors is what we're fired for.

p.s. Thanks to those who actually respond with answers, intsead of post links to pages to which I"m supposed to sift for answers. If the answer is someplace else, it's just as easy to copy paset it to your repsonse and explain it. BELIEVE ME, when I go throught the effort of typing out and posting a question, I've already searched high and low for solutions.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
cyrille
Level 6
Level 6
252 251 42 77
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I fully agree that it is not very  user firendly.

In our defence, It is concistent with other apps where you select the type of calculations in symb 🙂

Another good source of help in such cases is the on calc help which does specify: "First select your desired calculation from the drop menu, then press num to enter the finance numeric view and solve the chosen equations"...

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
cyrille
Level 6
Level 6
252 251 42 77
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, I posted the previous message in the wrong thread.

I never realized that the dms key did not work in the program editor. I will see what I can do about this!

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 185
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Note, the DMS template in the template key (on the C button) does have a DMS template there for you which can help out in the meantime.

We'll put getting the ROUND and TRUNCATE functions to take into account a DMS input on the list of improvments as well.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
sideshot
Author
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

...that would be SUPER!

PS:

since i've written programs that utylize HMS degree format, and on the PRIME, HMS uses °'" as the format, while using these custom programs at work for surveying calculations, it's extremely counter productive to enter each symbol with SHIFT+9 and/or 'c' key (still, too many key strokes!), It's waayyyy to many keystrokes! HP set the standard years ago with decimal HMS format, why did you change it on the prime?

If you do end up putting in a fix, might I suggest an optional setting to allow the user to select what we prefer? such as native H°M'S" or HH.MMSS (decimal format; HP48 era). I still have my 48gx expanded with a TDS Survey Pro package, for field work. I see the potential for transfering to my Prime because programming is much simpler, and I know that one day my 48 will die. I also have a 35s at my desk, that works with decimal HMS! See, how dedicated I am to HP??!! 🙂 I'm a power user!

0 Kudos
sideshot
Author
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks.

I replied to the previous comment, you can gleen my reply from there; notably the decimal HMS option, and native H°M'S" being too many keystrokes, which amounts to a lot in my profession as a surveyor. If/when I get all my programs done for the prime, I'll use it over my 48gx.

thanks

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @sideshot :

Know you the survey software, for HP-50G and HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, from Jacob Wall call CO-GO ?.

See, this link ... https://sgss.ca/hpprime.html

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Sideshot,

Is the problem in the INPUT command, the Program editor or in both?

For the INPUT command I would possibly know a work around.

You could use lists to enter DMS values, so for  46° 32' 23.234" you would enter the list:

{46,32,23.234}

This is possible with the INPUT command when you know how to do it.

The list would be stored into a variable and you would need a program that converts these lists into real values.

Then you can call that program.

Another useful program would be one which converts real values into these lists.

When you are interested in this method I can give you more details.

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Next idea...

From a private message I understand that you know already how to enter an angle in the form of a string, namely with

INPUT({{a,[2]}})

When you now enter   23°48'54" in the dialog box a will be the string " 23°48'54""

We can get the numerical angle back by using EXPR(a).

So when you would enter 23,48,54, a  would be "23,48,54,"

This way of entering is much simpler, and the only thing left to do is converting the comma's into the angle symbols.

This can be done with the string commands which you can find in the Program editor via:

Cmds- Strings

This is some code:

EXPORT MYPROGRAM()
BEGIN
LOCAL a,b;
INPUT({{a,[2]}});

b:=INSTRING(a,",");
a:=REPLACE(a,b,"°");

a:=REPLACE(a,b,"′");
a:=REPLACE(a,b,"″");
a:=EXPR(a); RETURN a; END;

0 Kudos
sideshot
Author
Level 1
15 11 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the 'c' button works well, better than SHIFT+9.  I don't know what the best solution is for the long run and many styles of input. However, options are always the best, everyone will have their own preference. 

ROUND and TRUNCATE definitely need to work for HMS units.

Another request off topic is the ability to asign custom "formats" of values as in MS Excel, customizing the appearance of the value. For instance user entry; 100.00, custom display would show 1+00.00. (these are centerline stations in civil engineering, it's how we track centerline distances in multiples of 100'. 2500.00 = 25+00.00, 560.25 = 5+60.25, etc)

thanks for your input and help!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation