Francesco999
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Differential equation

HP Recommended
Hp Prime Graphing calcultor

Hello, 

I' m tryng ti solve this differential equation in CAS using my Hp Prime Graphing calcultor: 

desolve(y'=1.2*e^(-0.3*x) -0.00672*y^2,x,y), but the calculator doesn' t give me amy result: [].

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks for the attention

3 REPLIES 3
Joe_Horn
Level 8
651 636 124 223
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If your CAS expression is typed with just ",x" at the end instead of ",x,y" a result is obtained. Is it the result you're looking for?

Also, please note that CAS is intended for exact and/or symbolic math, not decimal number approximations, which is what Home view is used for.  Entering a decimal point anywhere in a CAS expression forces it to revert to approximate mode.  If you want to use the full power of CAS, never include any decimal points anywhere in the inputs.  If you type your expression in CAS using exact values (e.g. instead of -0.3 use -3/10), CAS will return an exact result instead of a decimal approximation.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I just enjoy using their calculators.

-Joe-
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Jurjen_NE
Level 3
28 26 1 5
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The solution of this differential equation involves a Bessel function. The Bessel functions are not in the CAS, so the calculator had no way of expressing the answer.

Jurjen Bos
Calculator nerd since 1980. Cryptographer by profession.
Jurjen_NE
Level 3
28 26 1 5
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Of course, if it is a numerical value you're after, you can use odesolve.

Jurjen Bos
Calculator nerd since 1980. Cryptographer by profession.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation