Did you mean: 
Dsmithwr
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Error 5

HP Recommended
Hp-12c
I have PV -274000 retirement PMT=800/month I =5% /12=.416666667 FV =0. I get error 5. Other calculations work
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 5 is the correct result if you entered the data you posted and attempted to solve for N (though not stated, I assumed that's what you were trying to do).

A principal balance of 274000 with an annual interest rate of 5% will gain about 1141.67 each month in interest, and you are specifying a monthly payout of only 800.  Since the monthly interest is greater than the monthly payout, the account balance will actually increase instead of decreasing.  Therefore, it will never reach a zero balance.  Hence the Error 5.

Double-check your parameters to see if you're using the proper values for the problem description.  Also note that since a payment is involved, you'll need to set BEG/END mode status appropriately (depends on the particulars of the problem).

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation