Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Financial Calculator HP10b+

I used the Financial Calculator HP 10bII+ to calculate the FV: I input 100 for PV, 10 for I/YR, 2 for N, my calculator gave the FV =-101.67, the correct answer is 121. I tried all the function in the Start guide, it gave the correct answers, except the calculating of PV, FV, or Interest? I reset many times but it still gave the wrong number. Should I send back for repair? I just bought from Amazon 3 weeks ago.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello,

Your calculator is correct, the Future value of an investmenet of 100, at 10% annual, nominal interest rate, for a period of 2 month is 101.67...

The exercise that you are trying to solve (I think, based on the expected result) is for the Future value of an investmenet of 100, at 10% annual, effective interest rate, for a period of 2 years (which is 121).

The problem is that the calculator (like all other financial calculators) is setup to do calculations based on a Nominal and Anual interest rate (based on 12 compounding per year), and 12 payements per year (which N is). Ie: I/YR and N work on different units of time. So you need to be carefull of this issue.

Simlply changing N in 24 will not help because you would be doing calculations based on a nominal interest rate (10%), which correspond to an effective interest rate of 10.47%!

What you need to do is change the number of payements per year to 1 (and you might also need to change the number of compounding per year to 1, but I am not sure, and I do not have a 10BII+ in front of me to test). This should give you the correct result.

Regards,

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but the problem is that all my classmates use the same calculator like mine and give the answer is 121.  Another example: You need $10,000 in one year, if the IR=7%/year, how much you need to invest today. The correct answer is 9,345.79 but my calculator gives the answer  9,942. I input FV=10,000, I/YR=7, N=1 (dont mind about the sign +/-). 

HP Recommended

Hello thangluon,

Cyrille gave you the right advise. Your second post seems to me, that you probably don't understand the game of the three variables:

N = counts of payments

I/Year = Interest Rate per year and

P/Year = How often in a year the Interest Rate calculated (and added/subtracted to the loan).

Last for first: P/Year = 1 You are calculating the interest rate in a year one time, =12  every month, = 365 every day

N get the meaning from P/Year: P/Year = 12 then N = 5 means five month or

P/Year = 1    then N = 3 means three years

The I/year is based on one year, if you use P/Year = 1 the your amount  your Interest Rate of I/year match to the year.

What happen if you use P/Year = 12 and N = 1: First your calc divide the I/year with 12 and  calculate the amount of cash after one month.

Example: P/Year = 12,  N = 1:  I/year = 6 % : the calculated Interest Rate is 0.5 % (for one month).

PV = 100 $  You get: 100.5 $ [EDIT: "%" before wasn't correct], lets arise N to 5: You get: 102.53 $ (Oh, maybe 3 Cent more then expected, but evereything is alright).

And what happen with N = 12 (all other variables are the same)?:

You get: 106,17 $ 17 Cent more, because of the compound interest effekt.

I hope that helps you to use a not damaged business calc

HP Recommended

@thangluong wrote:

I used the Financial Calculator HP 10bII+ to calculate the FV: I input 100 for PV, 10 for I/YR, 2 for N, my calculator gave the FV =-101.67, the correct answer is 121. I tried all the function in the Start guide, it gave the correct answers, except the calculating of PV, FV, or Interest? I reset many times but it still gave the wrong number. Should I send back for repair? I just bought from Amazon 3 weeks ago.

@thangluong wrote:

Thanks for your reply but the problem is that all my classmates use the same calculator like mine and give the answer is 121.  Another example: You need $10,000 in one year, if the IR=7%/year, how much you need to invest today. The correct answer is 9,345.79 but my calculator gives the answer  9,942. I input FV=10,000, I/YR=7, N=1 (dont mind about the sign +/-).

Both these problems use yearly intervals (not monthly as is normally the case).

Therefore you must set P/YR = 1

-Bart

I understand the concept, the problem is why the same calculator, input the same keys, do the same steps, give the different answer. I borrowed my friends (3 calculators, the same model) and input the same steps, all of them gave the same number, only mine gave the different. I cleared all memories, remove the batteries, reset it and it is the same. 

HP Recommended

How to set the Payment per year (P/YR). I follow the guide book but its still the same (the orange arrow down + the P/YR key)

HP Recommended

You should be pressing 3 keys directly in a row.

[1] [orange_arrow] [PMT]

Do you then see a 1_P/Yr show on the screen?

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.