HP Recommended
HPbll+
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to find the growth.

pv = 1.00

fv= 1.40

N= 5

once i put all of this and press I/YR calculator gives no solution error

however if i twist this arount, and say I am looking for PV and putted the answer of the growth being 6.96 I get the correct answer, what could I be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Remember that there's a sign convention used by all HP financial calculators.  Values invested/paid out are entered as negative, values received/withdrawn are positive.  For the following explanation, I'm assuming you have left the P/YR setting at 12.

In effect, the first part of your question is asking the following:

What annual interest rate is needed to provide for an account that allows me to withdraw 1.00 at the beginning and then withdraw 1.40 at the end of 5 months?

Nothing was ever invested/deposited, so there's no solution to such a problem.

Changing either the PV or FV values to negative will create a scenario that can be solved for an annual interest rate.  Note that PV and FV can't both be negative in this scenario, for similar reasons to what was described above.

Keeping this in mind, it's possible to make the following general statement (which I've copied from the 10bII+ Users Guide on page 56):

A valid financial transaction must have at least one positive and one negative cash flow.

Note that you may actually be solving for the variable that has the opposite sign from the one you've already input, which is exactly what is happening in part 2 of your question.  In that example, you are asking the following:

What amount must I deposit into an an account that earns 6.96% annual interest (compounded monthly) and will have a value of 1.40 at the end of 5 months?

The solution is given as -1.36009698927, with the negative sign indicating a value which is being paid out/deposited.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
bexblasters
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you are investing the PV, it needs to be negative.  Also make sure you are in 1 period per year.  Shift C will tell you how many periods per year.  It should say 1 P_Yr.  If 12 then hit 1 shift PMT. That will solve the issue. 

enter

PV = -1.00

FV= 1.40

N=5

and if you want to remind yourself you aren't making payments PMT=0 but it isn't necessary.

hit I/YR and it will give you your answer.  It should be 6.96% 

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @NONCEDO :

You can see, the User's Guide, from ... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02989763.pdf, page 56 the Convention for the sign

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation