2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP 10bII+ not giving correct answers!

HP Recommended
HP 10bII+

Hi

I am studying for a financial planning exam and was on the verge of reordering the calculator which i need to use for the exam as I have tried working my way round the manual (printed the full version off, my textbook and then a YouTube tutorial on the calculator. But for the simplest question I get a slightly different answer. I have reset the calculator and I know how to set it to one payment period per year.  I have also worked out clearing the TVM memory. Here is the calculation I have been trying to do and the answer I get. Any help gratefully received:

Qu is £1000 invested for 2 years @10% interest per year, answer should be £1210, but I get £1,212.31! I input

2 N

10 I/YR

1000 PV

1 P/YR

and the press FV to get £1212.31 as the answer 😞

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only way I've been able to replicate your result is if I place or leave -1 in the PMT register and set the calculator to BEG mode before solving for FV.  You didn't mention anything about BEG/END mode or any kind of recurring payments, so it's not clear if either of those would apply.

If starting from a totally reset 10bII+ (by pressing ON-N-FV all at the same time), the following keystrokes provides the correct answer:

C (simply to clear the ALL CLEAr message)

2 N

10 I/YR

1000 +/- PV

1 (down shift) P/YR  (note: this is the down-shifted PMT key, not the N key)

FV

...result is 1,210.00 as expected.

BEG/END mode doesn't matter if no PMT is specified.  Try your calculation in both modes; the result should be the same. If it changes, then your calculator has something other than 0 as the PMT.

Tags (1)
JJM01
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David

Thank you so much for your help, so very much appreciated. I hadn't seen anywhere about the down shift key for the payment button - but now you have explained it it makes so much sense. 

I did your reset as well - having previously put a paperclip in between the batteries at the back.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

JJM

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation