Did you mean: 
urlm
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP 10bll+ gives wrong answer for present value, despite correct settings

HP Recommended
HP 10bll+

I repeatedly get the wrong answer when I attempt to calculate present value on my calculator. I have one co-student who gets same answer as me, while others, on the same setting, with the same input, get a different answer.

The calculation is FV = 1000, N = 5, PMT = 50, I/YR = 6. The correct answer should be 958 (according to the given solution of the question), which is what others get with both their HP 10bll+ and Texas Instruments calculator. I get 970. The P/YR setting is set to 1 P_Yr, and I've tried at least 20 times now and always get the wrong answer.

My exam is this monday, and this is rather worrysome. What is wrong with my calculator?

I've seen similar posts here where people answer either "wrong P/YR setting" or "wrong input" but I have literally the same P/YR setting and same input as someone else with the exact same calculator and we get different answers.

Is there some other setting I'm missing?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
David_M
Level 6
143 142 29 62
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@urlm wrote:

Is there some other setting I'm missing?

Check your BEGIN/END mode setting.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For an explanation of the BEGIN and END settings see page 62 of the User Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02989763.pdf

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation