Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 9 (1,811 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 95LX to PC connection

Where can I find software to run on Windows 7 which transfers files to/from HP 95LX ?

Can I use the original cable with 9-pin serial connector ?

Many thanks in anticipation,

007-half

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP 95LX to PC connection - Status Update

Hi,

Up to WinXP there was Hyperterminal that some have had success with, but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to not provide Hyperterminal with Vista onwards.

I have read of some people using DOSBox to run legacy DOS software, perhaps that is an avenue to explore if you have the original connectivity software? (DOSBox is free). I admit I have not used it myself.

You can also ask your question here:

HP Museum forum

It is mostly about calculators, but I know several have discussed the 95LX/100LX/200LX there before and can give some guidance.

Best wishes,

Bart

View solution in context
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 9 (1,803 Views)

Re: HP 95LX to PC connection

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I doubt that the original software would work on modern PCs. Since that software was written, the port addressing used by PCs has changed. You would have to find newer software that can do serial comms (Xmodem/Kermit).

Also, as many modern PCs do not have serial ports, a serial-USB converter in necessary. I reccomend an FTDI-based converter (search for FTDI  - they sell modules from their website. www.hpcalc.org also sells an FTDI serial-usb cable on the commerce site).

What I do:

I use a PCMCIA card to tranfer data. Many laptops still have the PCMCIA slot.

Best regards,

Bart

Edit:

Sorry, I misread your post the first time, thinking you were asking about using the original software.

At this stage I cannot recommend any alternative software as it has been quite a while since I did that kind of serial transfer. Anyway, as I said, with software that can do Xmodem/Kermit type stuff you should be able to do basic file transfer.

If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Best regards,

Bart

-Bart
Message 3 of 9 (1,787 Views)

Re: HP 95LX to PC connection

Hi Bart,

Thank you for the advice; I've ordered a USB cable with RS232 connector direct from FTDI, so fingers crossed..

Expect the fun starts after installing the drivers :)

Cheers!

John

Tutor
Message 4 of 9 (1,770 Views)

Hello again,

USB cable connected and tested OK, basic communication established with a virtual COM3 port.

Problem now is getting Kermit 95 to run on Windows 7 (with the dreaded anti-virus!), cannot get the GUI version to install and run correctly.

I've tried to follow the Kermit 95 command line instructions used by HP-48 users, but still no joy.

'Swear-box full' :)

007-half

Associate Professor
Message 5 of 9 (1,765 Views)

Hi,

Up to WinXP there was Hyperterminal that some have had success with, but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to not provide Hyperterminal with Vista onwards.

I have read of some people using DOSBox to run legacy DOS software, perhaps that is an avenue to explore if you have the original connectivity software? (DOSBox is free). I admit I have not used it myself.

You can also ask your question here:

HP Museum forum

It is mostly about calculators, but I know several have discussed the 95LX/100LX/200LX there before and can give some guidance.

Best wishes,

Bart

-Bart
Message 6 of 9 (1,762 Views)

Hi Bart,

Thank you very much for your comments; I will post to the HP forum, as suggested.

Searching the Messrs Hewlett and Packard garage may be problematic :)

"Swear-box empty",

007-half

Tutor
Message 7 of 9 (1,754 Views)

Hi,

Just a small note to say a big THANK YOU!

Kermit 95 installed, running and chirping merrily between HP and Windows 7.  Miss Piggy will be proud! :)

If anyone needs help with a similar project, please ask here.

"Swear-box empty, glass half full",

007-half

Associate Professor
Message 8 of 9 (1,722 Views)

That's good to hear. This post has made me think about getting my 95LX out and trying to connect with a PC. (I currently use a 200LX with a PCMCIA card, as my laptop has a slot). 

Good luck,

Bart

-Bart
Message 9 of 9 (364 Views)

Hello Sir,

I have a HP95LX.  In a battery change mishap with my A drive removable disc I lost some files and Buddy, the program that makes using the 95 much easier.  I would like to put Buddy back on my 95.  I believe it's available as sharware on the internet, but I don't know how to download it to my 95.  Can you help? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation