Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ciro_Bruno
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

[HP PRIME] How to switch between FIX, SCI and ENG formats (just like HP41)?

HP Recommended
HP Prime
Other

Dear Sirs,

Used to calculate with my old HP 41cx, I'd like to manage to apply the same number displaying formats in HP Prime.

I mean exactly: FIX, SCI and ENG mode settings, followed by their respective decimal digits number.

I can't do it with Prime! In CAS settings I've already tried many combinations, but nothing seems to change. Whenever I get results with many digits (eight, for example), I have to count manually to write it down in scientific notation!

There must be somehow!

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 206
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The display modes you seek are in Home Settings, not CAS Settings.  The "Number Format" setting which you see in the CAS Settings screen is currently ignored by almost everything in the Prime, so don't even bother changing that setting.

In addition to changing the number format in the Home Settings screen, you can also do it in a program:

HFormat:=0 sets Standard number format.

HFormat:=1 sets Fixed

HFormat:=2 sets Scientific

HFormat:=3 sets Engineering

HFormat:=4 sets Floating

HFormat:=5 sets Rounded

You can also control the number of displayed digits programmatically:

HDigits:=0 through 11 sets that many digits to be displayed.  So to turn on Fixed 4 number format in a program, do both of these:

HFormat:=1

HDigits:=4

Changing HDigits has no effect in Standard number format.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP, but HP calculators work for me!

EDIT: Please note that Apps can have their own custom number format which overrules the current Home Setting.  For example, the Finance app's default number format is Fixed 2.  When this is happening, the Home Settings screen will say "See Symbolic Setup" next to "Number Format".  (Try it; go into the Finance app, then press Shift Home).  This message means that you should press Shift Symb (Symbolic Setup) to change the current app's custom number format.  To stop the app from taking control of the number format, and return to normal Home Settings control of the number format, you can either change the app's number format to "System", or exit that app by activating any other app which doesn't have a custom number format (which is most of them, e.g. the Function app).

-Joe-
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, Joe.

Nevertheless, it doesn't work at all. I'm dividing 43 by 2.50E-5 and the result is always displayed as 1720000.00 !

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 206
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

(1) What is your currently active App? (Its name is always shown in the top line of the dispay).  If it's the Finance app, then see my previous reply final paragraph, regarding setting the app's custom number format.

(2) Are you changing it in the Shift Home (Home Settings) screen?  If not, see my previous reply.

-Joe-
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Joe.

I'm sorry for the delay. I've been busy with exams in college and students tests to correct.

Yes, you're right. I've been using Financial App and instead of mumber format setup in Home Settings, I could see the instructions to move toward Symbolic View Settings.

I didn't figure out that the active App had so much interference in Home mode. In fact, I always thought that by pressing Home, HP Prime would work just like any other calculator. Do you know any reason not to be so?

Moreover, in CAS mode's settings there's number format as well. What does it work for? In fact I can't see any effect of those settings on numbers displaying. What does it depend on?

For example, at this moment, the active app is Function, in Home Settings I've choosed ENG 4, in Cas Settings SCI 6. I've typed the same number both in Home and CAS mode: 45271.354 and it is displayed as 45,2714E3 in Home and as 45.2714E3 in CAS!

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 206
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I didn't figure out that the active App had so much interference in Home mode. In fact, I always thought that by pressing Home, HP Prime would work just like any other calculator. Do you know any reason not to be so?

The ability of each app to have its own number format is a great feature. Were it otherwise, every time you started the Finance app you'd have to change the number format to look like money, and then when you went to any other app you'd have to change it again.  But you don't have to bother with that, since you can set up every app to have whatever number format you prefer for it, and it will automatically use that from then on.

The default ADigits (App Digits) value for the Finance app is 2, but if the user's monetary system uses some other number of decimal places, the user can easily change it, after which the app remembers it and sets it automatically every time the app is used.  It's a customizability feature.

If you don't like that feature, you can turn it off by setting Finance's number format (in Symb Setup) to System.  After that, the Finance app will use the Home Settings number format just like the other apps do.

> Moreover, in CAS mode's settings there's number format as well. What does it work for? In fact I can't see any effect of those settings on numbers displaying. What does it depend on?

Not much.  The number of digits is stored in a CAS pseudo-variable called Digits, and apparently was originally intended to control the precision of CAS floating-point calculations.  None of the firmware versions so far have implemented that functionality, but it MIGHT appear in some future update.  The CAS number format setting itself seems to be totally ignored by Prime, but again, its originally intended purpose MIGHT be revealed in some future update.  For now, I suggest ignoring those two CAS settings since they don't do anything at this time.

-Joe-
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Joe.

I understand the need of specific number formats for Financial App, for example. Nevertheless, monetary format is important inside Financial App. If we think about the Home mode as an app itself, a aritmetic calculation app, why should it carry configurations from other ones?

CAS settings are still a mistery for me. Maybe the CAS Settings shouln't offer useless options. I guess it sounds bad when something looks like it should work but it doesn't/

Anyway, that's the way it is! I thank you very much for all your dedicated time.

Best regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a close collaboration between Home view (and cas view) and the Numeric view of the Finance app when the financial app is active.

In fact we can do everything which we can do in the numeric view  of the app also in  Home view (and cas view) when the app is active, and also in a program.

For this purpose we need the app variables and app functions.

Press Toolbox-App-Finance and you see its app functions.

Press Vars-App-Finance-TVM and you see all its app variables.

For example, suppose you want to change PV and next calculate FV, you could write in Home view:

PV:=2005

DoFinance(FV)

This would alter the value of PV in the numeric view into 2005 and next calculate FV.

Suppose the Function app was active and you would write: PV:=2005 you would be asked if you wanted to create a variable called PV, because PV is not recognized as a variable.

Furthermore DoFinance (FV) would result in a Syntax Error.

It is possible to do these calculations with active Function app but in that case we would have to specify the variables and functions:

Finance.PV:=2005

Finance.Dofinance(Finance.FV)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation