Did you mean: 
fdimeglio Tutor
Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Prime 2013.08.13 (5106) bricked thru usbtool scan ?

HP Prime

Hello,

I have two HP Primes original model (from 2013) with the original firmware (2013.08.13). I charged them to 100% battery and verified that they were working fine (I put very very little use on them since 2013).

I successfully updated the first thru connecting it to a Windows 10 machine and doing an update with the latest HP Connectivity Kit. Everything went smoothly.

For the second one, I was looking at https://www.educalc.net/2336439.page and found that initially you had to use the "usbtool".

So I was a bit intrigued and I downloaded the 20130808 firmware zip file and upzipped it and lunched "usbtool". I did a "Scan" and after some time it reported back ok from the calculator.

Then for some strange reason the scan started again (I may have clicked something wrong) and the HP Prime was clearly showing the progression of the new scan as the first time. But I did not want to wait the end so I unplugged the calculator and then pressed on the ON button to powered it OFF (the battery was inside the calculator).

Well, since that time, the calculator was not powering up any more :-((

FYI, I tried a lot of things: soft reset thry ON+APPS+ESC, SYMB+ON, hard RESET button only, CFO + hard RESET button, removing the battery and connecting the calculator to my computer USB port and doing those key sequences again.

I swapped battery in the two HP Prime I have to be super sure my battery is reporting 100% charge.

Any idea what I need to / could do to "get it back from the dead" ?

Thank you,

Fabrice

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
fdimeglio Tutor
Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK, so here is the deal.

From the README file inside the 20130808 firmware zip file, it is said that for any issue you can try pressing the SYMB button and then the hard RESET button on the back.

I did it and the calculator was powering up and showing me the recovery screen. That was a great progress indeed 😉

So I powered the calculator OFF (shift + ON) and then it would not get back ON...

So I did the SYMB + hard RESET again, connected it to my Windows machine and updated the firmware to the latest (sadly as a collector  ... I am losing my original 2013.08.13 firmware) but after this seamless update my HP Prime is working great again.

Hope my scary experience and report would help some people.

This thread can be marked as resolved 😉

Fabrice

PS: see my other post about how to get back any older firmware

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3,741 3,445 175 526
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi!, @Fdimeglio :

The solutions that you have used, except for some errors, are the correct ones. To create a diagnosis, you must press the C+F+O keys simultaneously and keeping them pressed, press the ON key. That does, if it starts that the following Menu appears ...

E656 Diagnostic.JPG 

To perform a start-up test, press the Symb key and then insert the tip of a paper clip into the Reset hole, located approximately in the back case, smoothly until it reaches the bottom and then Remove the tip of the clip that triggered the reset switch.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
fdimeglio Tutor
Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you Maké for your confirmation 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation