ahmadahere
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

HP Prime Calculator Not Being Detected

HP Recommended
HP Prime NW280AA
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have an HP Prime Graphing calculator that I purchased new in 2016.  The connectivity functionality of the calculator stopped working completely.  My home based Mac OSX Sierria 10.12 and my work Laptop with Windows 7 will not detect the calculator at all.  I've been through these forums and I have tried all the recommended tricks to try and nothing works.  

I keep reading about the reason why my calculator is not being detected is due to the fact that the firmware is outdated.   But if I cannot get my calculator to connect, how am I supposed to update the firmware?  Everything I have tried: resetting, using different ports, using differeny computers.... nothing has worked.  I bascially have a $100 paper weight.

Can someone help me?

15 REPLIES 15
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 188
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Open the connectivity kit on the windows machine (old firmrware didn't yet support the mac, so need to use that once at least once). Does it prompt you to downoad a fimrware file? (or did it already do this once before?) If not, please check your "<Documents>/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware" folder. Are there files in  there? If so, that is what you want. If not, do you have a firewall blocking the connkit from connecting to the web?

1a. Is the connectivity kit on the windows install up to date? Did you install from a CD or web download? http://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator_2016_12_08.exe

2. If your connkit isn't downloading files automatically, it is probably blocked. Download http://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20170710.zip and unzip it into "<Documents>/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware".

3. Turn the calculator off. Now hold down the SYMB button, and while continuing to hold SYMB press ON. It should come up in the "firmware recovery" screen.  Now plug that into the connkit on the windows machine. Within a few seconds it should prompt you to click a button for the update.

Let me know what if anything you discover with this. I've NEVER seen a unit so far in the hundreds (thousands?) I've handled so far that wasn't able to be updated/fixed. This would be a first if it was the case.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ahmadahere
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will answer each of your questions accordingly:

1. I don't have any issue downloading the firmware update files.  Yes it does ask about downloading an update and it does complete the 2017 firmware file download but it does not do anything after that.

1a. I downloaded the most up to date connectivity kit from your website.  

2. This is not an issue.

3. This operation has no effect on the calculator.  It starts normally and does not go into "firmware recovery" screen as you say that it should.

CA

Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 188
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good to know all the internet stuff is  working. That is much harder to deal with.

3. With the calculator up and running...  please enssure that you are holding down SYMB. Now with the other hand, tap the ON key. Leave your first hand holding down SYMB the whole time. The calculator should reboot aftere you click the ON. While it is booting, ensure that SYMB is pressed the whole time. Do you get into the recovery screen with a big HP logo?

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
ahmadahere
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

3. Through trial and error, the way I ended up getting into firmware recovery mode was:

a. While the calculator is on, hold down the SYMB button

b. Press Shift, then press ON

The part you were missing in your instruction was that I needed to press the shift key before I press the on key.

After performing this operation I then followed the instructions again.  This consisted of going into the device manager on a windows machine and uninstalling the device, followed by refreshing the device manager.  After multiple combinations of these sort of attempts, the Connectivity Manager still would not recognize my caculator.  

Today I am going to take my computer to work and try it on another laptop.  I'll check back again.

CA

ahmadahere
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried everything you said without any luck. 

1. On a windows machine; set the calculator in recovery mode - still not detected

2. On a windows machine; uninstall and reinstall the calculator in device manager - it does not show up in device manager

I cannot get anything to detect this calculator...

I've tried multiple cables.   I am sure it is connected because the charging icon appears over the battery symbol.

Any other ideas?

Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 188
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Have you tried a different cable? I did see at least one case where it "charged" but the communication didn't happen with a bad cable once.

2. Are you connecting directly to the computer or through some sort of hub?

TW

fizixmastr
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue.

The only time that my calculator tried to connect to a computer was out of the box in 2015. Since then it has been charged via computer many times, but I didn't care that it wouldn't connect, until I found what I am missing. I installed the conectivity kit, upon opening, a firmware update was downloaded. The calculator is currently sitting on my besk with a new usb cable in system recovery mode. Per an earlier post regarding this I have checked that my usb ports are working. The connectivity kit currently just displays the firmware uodate with greyed out buttons.

Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 188
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Can you please follow the instructions to get it into the "recovery" mode as described (if it isn't at the moment)? Please don't connect the calculator until it is in that recovery mode screen (If you did, please unplug and then plug to a different USB port). Then start the connkit and wait up to 10 minutes (it sometimes takes windows 10 that long to recognize it is connected in the latest windows update for some reason). I'd recommend do something else for a while till you hear the USB beep noise windows makes. The connkit should prompt you to run the update then.

You will have to use windows of some kind to update as that old firmware didn't yet support the Mac connkit software.

TW

fizixmastr
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No go. I took pictures to share with you, but doesn't look like I can at least on mobile. The screen of my calculator says HP Prime recovery mode V13. It was put in the mode, then the connectivity kit was opened (and left on the grey screen), then the calculator was plugged in at 11.13. I started typing this at 11.25. in the mean time I read a book.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation