Did you mean: 
easy67
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Prime: Common Operations with 2D and 3D vectors

HP Recommended

I have not found a way to work with common 2D and 3D vector quantities representing position, force, velocity etc.  in a manner similar to the way the HP Prime handles complex numbers.  I have used both the HP-48 and HP-50 where these useful functions were available to my engineering students, but seems to be missing from the HP Prime.  The TI-89 Titanium also does this.    With the HP Prime I can add two complex numbers of mixed format ("real/imaginary" and "polar"), but have not found a way to do so with vectors with real components in two or three dimensions.

HP Prime vector.png

What am I missing or is this hopefully a future upgrade?

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, easy67:

Welcome, to Forum !.

Degres.png 

Note: Write, in Polar, CAS and degrees.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
easy67
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is still not quite what I am looking for.  The example problem shown in your reply shows results for a complex number.  It is my desire to work with real numbers in all components of a 2D or 3D vector and obtain results in real numbers for all components.  I have provided a link to a powerpoint describing vector operations on the TI-89.  I have also been able to do similar operations on HP-48 and 50 series of calculators.  These operations are very useful to mechanical engineers who don't often encounter complex numbers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcyj94eoi9jpa1r/ti-89%20vector%20operations.pptx?dl=0

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!,easy67:

Can you indicate, one library or program, in your HP-50G, similar ?.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
easy67
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

https://youtu.be/TNCt45FzGzg

Here is a Youtube video of my demonstration of adding vector components representing forces to find the resultant force.  It is on a TI-89, but I can easily do similar operations on the HP-48G and HP-50G.  On the previous HP calculators operating in RPN mode I could enter a 2D vector in cartesian form with i and j components, then enter another in polar form by switching vector mode to CYLIN first and entering magnitude and angle.  All other vectors on the stack were converted to CYLIN when the mode changed.

This seems to be the important difference the newer HP Prime calculator's implementation of vectors.  I can use conversion functions to convert from rectangular to cylindrical (or polar) using polar_coordinates() or go the other way with rectangular_coordinates(), but once converted the calculator vector object does not know if it using rectangular components or polar.  A 2D vector implemented in the HP Prime is just two real numbers in square brackets.   Good object oriented programming would implement a way to have the object know its format and allow itself to  be operated on in a logical manner.  The TI-89 does this with use of the angle prefix on a vector component, similar to the way complex numbers are handled in the HP Prime.  The older HP calculators in RPN allowed to change the mode of a vector stored on the stack.

To my knowledge, this seems to be a shortcoming of the HP Prime and I am hopeful that future operating systems will improve the vector operations.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, easy67:

Unfortunely, the HP Prime, didn't recognize ... in GIAC XCAS { "UnitV",x,x,x,x}, of TI-89.

See, the description, of Bernard Parisse, from ... http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/archive/index.php?thread-856.html

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
easy67
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What I am looking for is the abiltiy to work with two and three dimensional vectors on the HP Prime in ways similar to the methods shown for the TI-89 Titanium and now I have produced a video showing what I am looking for on the HP Prime by way of a demonstration on the HP 50G.  I am running the HP 50G emulator in RPN mode with softkeys much like the HP 48GX.

Here is a link to the video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/YwX0U63WOFQ

From all the discussion so far, I am begining to conclude that the HP Prime does not work well with different vector formats.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, easy67:

You can easy convert by using Phasor, Polar or, Rectangular vectors. First write, your vector and press, ENTER key. Then, press Shift and x (multiply) keys.

Use HOME and degrees.

Too, you can use others commands for vectors, from ... Tools-->Math-->7Matrix-->8Vector and then option's ...

1 Cross Product

2 Dot Product

3 L2 Norm

4 L1 Norm

5 Max Norm

See, the image ...

CONV_3.png

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are correct - this is something not supported at this time. It will most likely be added at some point however.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
easy67
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You still have not grasped the intent of my post on 2D and 2D vectors.  I want to be able to perform some simple calculations like I have shown is possible on older model HP calculators  and the TI-89.  Your screen shots all have complex number notation in them.

NO COMPLEX NUMBERS, real number components only, PLEASE!!!!

Problem is not solved.  I believe that the HP Prime can't do calculations like I have shown in the videos for HP-50G and the TI-89 Titanium calculators.  If you disagree, make a video like the two I have shown for these older model calculators using the HP Prime, showing how it is done (without any complex numbers).

The problem also with the conversion funtions for polar to rectangular and the opposite is that when used with vectors containing real numbers (no complex notation) the vector object in the calculator does not know if the original vector was polar or rectangular.  For example [1, 1] in rectangular converted to polar correctly gives [1.414, 45] but when added to a vector like [5, 5] gives (5.414, 50].  This is ambigious at best, is the [5, 5] vector in rectangular if so the answer is wrong considering that the [1.414, 45] vector was a result of a polar conversion.  If the [5, 5] vector was in polar it is still wrong.  The user is forced to know the status of a vector object, is it rectangular or polar?  The calculator should "know" this.

It seems to me to be a very basic principle of object oriented programming that an object needs to be consistent with it's use and know how to handle operations on itself even if different formats are used.  This is basically the implementation I see in the older HP calculators and the TI-89.

I still believe that the HP Prime needs some work in this area.  If you will agree I will consider the problem is closer to being solved and perhaps give you some kudos.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation