Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prime
Other

Hi all, I have a simple problem on my HP Prime, for example...I enter this expression sqrt(25e-9) the HP solves and give the result on the numberic format that i chose (Standart, Fixed, Cientific, etc...) but if I want to copy/paste my previously expression , "sqrt(25e-9)" , to modify/correct something like sqrt(25.3e-9) when I copy sqrt(25e-9) it paste it like sqrt(0.000000025) .... It's mathematical OK but it's not practical/easy to see.

HP Prime should respect numer format when you copy/paste and It should paste something like sqrt(25.000e-9) depending on your numeric format or, better, respect the way you write/format the number the first time.

screen.png

This is a practical example but it gets more worse on other situations...

Software Version: 2016 08 29 (10637)

Thanks and sorry for my english

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi!, @rblanca:

See, the images ...

IMG_20170518_150430.jpg

IMG_20170518_150519.jpg

Or ...

IMG_20170518_151842.jpg

In comparison, with Wolfram Alpha ... http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=square+root+(25.3e-9)

IMG_20170518_150353.jpg

You can download and install ever the Firmware, from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

First, you needed delete of the previous version, the Firmware, The Connectivity Kit and Emulator, included the register's.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

Sorry @Maké but I cant see any of your pictures...also I have the lastest firmware on my HP prime already installed before do the tests....

If I don't express my self correctly...the issue I'm reporting its that when you copy/paste expressions It don't respect the number format when you writed before neither the number format that you set on the HP prime (Cientific, Fixed, etc...)

Sin título.png

HP Recommended

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you here. **All** mathemetatical software makes a distinction between "underlying numerical values" and "display". If it did not, you would constantly be losing precision and exactness in your calculations. Were this to be implemented, the number "under" the formatted display would lose information continually as it was being used.

Lets take the example of using FIXED 2 as your display format, and 2.001. Type 2.001 ENTER and you will see 2.00 displayed. Divide that by 2 and you see 1.00

Is that "correct"? Is the true answer mathematically "1"?

No, it is not exactly 1. However, 1.00 is the correct result when displaying with 2 fixed places, but it is NOT mathematically equal to 1. When you copy, you are copying the underlying data and not the display. Copying the display would be a very bad thing in almost every possible use case.

My real question to you is "What is the use that you feel you want to copy JUST the displayed value?" You've given a simple example, but that doesn't seem like a very valid case and will in fact cause WRONG results in almost all others. What are more of these "worse" situations you describe?

A solution has been given (seems like the images take a while to show up in some posts). Doing 25*10e-9 or similar will give you better what you are expecting.

THere is another solution here - press SHIFT-PASTE and the last 4 entries you wrote are automatically saved there. Provided you haven't done too much already, you can get back your original input.

I beleive every graphing calculator will behve a similar way here. If the user is incorrectly missing parenthesis on the input, should the caluculator not automatically insert them at the end when the user recalls the data?

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
HP Recommended

I know what you have in your calculator, the ultimate Firmware of HP PRIME.

I indicate to you, only if you needed to future download other's newsly Firmwar's.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.