3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Prime In Solver with RPN mode

HP Recommended
HP Prime
Other

I recently purchased an HP Prime.  With my HP 35s when using the solver, I can perform mathematic operations when passing values to the variables, like when prompted for X, I can do 0.3 ENTER 6 x R/S to store 1.8 into X.  With Prime and the solver app, I can enter an expression in textbook mode.  Is there any way to perform similar in RPN mode?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 185
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The key is to use the "QUOTE( )" command, or just ' ' (which is a quicker wayt to do it)

to surround things. These are found on the  shift parenthesis function. This prevents whatever is inside it from being evaluated immediately.

So you can do SHIFT PAREN X giving you 'X' in the command line. Then 2 + 5 / ENTER for example would do (X+2)/5 as your expression. This is how RPL worked on the 48 series. Note that you can also just do ' '  and then you are in a 2D edit mode for your expressions directly.

Is either of those what you want to be doing? If not, explain a bit more and someone can probably help you.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
j-tucker
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tim,

The work around I found (and this is in the numeric view of the solver app) is for X = 2 + 3, then these key strokes:

SHIFT ()  SHIFT ,   2  +  3

puts this on the entry line:

'EVAL(2+3)'

Pressing ENTER puts 5 in the variable field.

Does that seem reasonable or am I over thinking it?

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 185
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just type 2 SPC 3 + ENTER. You can separate arguments in the RPL (48 style) input on a command line with a space. That is the way you can chaing together multiple objects in one entry.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
j-tucker
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, that is a much more elegant solution.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation