17 11 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

[HP Prime] No decimal result for the product() function; the calculator stalls

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

You don't get a decimal result at once when you use the product(...) function. Instead you have to copy the resulting symbolic expression and evaluate it once again. Setting the upper limit to, say, 1000 will stall the calculator.

4.png

If only you change product(...) for Σ(...), it works fine:

5.png

P.S. I have the latest vesrion of firmware installed (2018 01 24).

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has not "stalled" it - it is a very long calculation to be performed exactly (probably will take about 5-8 minutes if I had to guess). See how the hourglass is moving in the corner? Press the ON key to cancel it and you will see it is still calculating fine.

You are using a CAS command "product" which is why the results are coming back in an exact format. If you want a direct numeric result, add a dot to the end of a number like 1.

Give your input as 1. /2^I and the number will pop back instantly. Note the input is 1. not just 1 - this indicates it is an approximate value and not an exact numeric 1. That is a pretty important distinction for a CAS system to have. Think the different between π and 3.14....   One is the exact concept of "PI" and the other is a numerical representation of the value of π.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
3xCh
Author
Level 2
17 11 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, pressing the On button helped. It stopped calculating and printed an error message.

I tried changing 1 for 1. and 1.0. The calculator has been 'thinking' about something for more then eleven minutes now. Putting a decimal point at the end of a whole number doesn't have any effect.

If you change 1 for 1.5 you get a decimal result in three seconds. That's true. 

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @3xCh:

My result, is ...

Sigma_1.PNG

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

One thing I will be able to do for sure is make sure we get a "numerical only" version of the product command in. This will essentially fix all the problems you've been having in the home screen or sequence app that you've reported so far when using the product template. This is due to the way that home<=>CAS interactions can sometimes behave unexpectedly. The reasons why they aren't working as you'd expect are perfectly predicatble, but are definitely subtle and not desired.

Thank you for pointing this out and I will make sure to get that PRODUCT function in to avoid these cases.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
3xCh
Author
Level 2
17 11 1 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for your quick help and clear explanations. A numerical version of the product() function will be a great improvement to HP Prime functionality and the speed of calculations.

0 Kudos
3xCh
Author
Level 2
17 11 1 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Maké,

Thank you for taking the time to give the examples. The result of product() in  the Home View depends on the current CAS settings as I learned. Unfortunately, it isn't mentioned as a CAS function neither in the manual nor in the online help.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation