Level 3
36 23 3 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Prime Units - Torque

HP Recommended
HP Prime

Hello Community,

Is there a way to add torque units to the Units menu on the HP Prime? It would be helpful if the Units menu could be edited to add units of torque for adding torque units to numbers and for converting between different units of torque.

Regards

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
cyrille
Level 6
Level 6
252 251 42 77
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

What units would you like to see in such a menu?

The only non-composit torque unit that I know of is the poundFoot, all the other ones are composed/build units as a N/m or something like that...

I was going to put a torque menu at one point. However, I realized that poundFoot was the only non composit unit that would go there, AND that I could not create a poundFoot units because the exact same name is used both for torque and energy!

This is why I decided, at the end, to not put a torque menu...

But this is not my specialty, so if you have good arguments for a torque menu (with a proposed list of items in it), I might be able to do something about it.

Regards,

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
golden79
Author
Level 3
36 23 3 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Cyrille,

There are several units of torque that I'd like to see under a Units menu for Torque. A few are

In SI base units‎: ‎kg⋅m2⋅s−2, SI unit‎: ‎N⋅m, English units: lbf⋅ft, lbf⋅inch, ozf⋅in, etc... There are several others that are normally encountered. Obsolete units for torque are important too, because they are often encountered in archived literature and old books.

An example is a torque wrench that are usually scaled in English units or Metric units. If you have an torque wrench in English units, and need to convert to Metric units, the conversion function of the HP Prime would be helpful.

Yes, your units of Energy are similar, but Energy and Torque are different. For example, you have energy in Joules, but a measure of torque can be denoted as Joules/radian. For purposes of dimensional analysis, the units are essentially the same, but Energy is a scalar product where as torque is a cross product. I'm not that familiar with the HP Prime to know if that matters.

As powerful and versatile as the HP Prime appears to be, I was surprised it lacked a conversion menu for torque. There are a few workarounds, but they aren't as efficient as having a conversion menu devoted to torque.

I have no idea what HP plans for the future of the RPN capable calculator, but I would hope that they decide to stay in the market, because HP RPN calculators have always set the standard and other manufacturers ignore RPN. Although I have several older model HP scientific and graphing calculators, I just bought the HP Prime, because I was concerned it would be the last RPN calculator ever made.

This is a quick answer, but I could provide a more complete and considered answer if it would help with a future software revision.

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
golden79
Author
Level 3
36 23 3 2
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

https://www.convert-me.com/en/

If you're looking for some good examples for a model or list of conversion functions. Look at the link above and note the conversions in the left column under Basic and Engineering. The conversions on the HP Prime are a bit skimpy in a few categories when compared to the HP 48GX.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation