Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rambou
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Prime giving a number when trying to simplify an equation.

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator
Other

The equation I put into the CAS simplify is 12*(3*S*4*T)-18*(3*S+4*T)*(3*S-4*T)+12*(3*S+4*T)-9*(3*S+4*T)^2.  The answer I keep getting is 2981.16 and not a simplified equation.  Any reason why Prime is setting variables S and T to be a number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joe_Horn
Level 8
650 635 124 222
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Prime uses the upper-case letters A through Z as real-number variables which always have a value.  More information about these variables, and all other variable types and usage syntax, can be found in your Prime's User Guide, Chapter 24, "Variables".

Hint: If you want to use CAS on symbolic variables, use lowercase letters, e.g. s and t.  Until they are given values, they remain purely symbolic, unlike S and T which always contain a value.

-Joe-

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Horn
Level 8
650 635 124 222
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Prime uses the upper-case letters A through Z as real-number variables which always have a value.  More information about these variables, and all other variable types and usage syntax, can be found in your Prime's User Guide, Chapter 24, "Variables".

Hint: If you want to use CAS on symbolic variables, use lowercase letters, e.g. s and t.  Until they are given values, they remain purely symbolic, unlike S and T which always contain a value.

-Joe-

View solution in original post

Rambou
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks! I got the proper simplification after using the lowercase letters.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation