Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Prime is there an irc channel?

HP Recommended
HP Prime G8X92AA
Other

Curious if there is any kind of realtime help for simple questions?  (like irc or other chat board)

Issue example: the manual talks of a "Sto ->" soft key on the touch panel ... but I only have a (physical) Shift-Sto-> key and it doesn't syntatic/semantically work the same way as described in the (online pdf) manual.  How do I store values to a variable?  How do I store an Ans to a variable?  Then how do I set a variable to lookup the current Ans whenever it is referenced?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 8
568 555 102 184
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Until you find the kind of live help you're seeking, please feel free to ask questions here. There are many helpful participants on this support board.

If the Sto► softkey is missing from your screen in Home view, then you're probably in RPN mode, which requires that everything be done using the RPN concept of putting the arguments on the stack and then executing the desired function. This even includes the function of storing a number into a variable.  For example, 153►X is the algebraic syntax for storing 153 into X, but in RPN you first put 153 and 'X' (notice the single quote marks, typed by pressing Shift parentheses) on the stack first, and then press the STO► key (Shift EEX):

153 Enter

'X' Enter

Sto►

If you ever want to evaluate an algebraic expression in RPN mode, just type it in single quotes, put it on the stack, and then press Eval (Shift comma):

'153►X' Enter Eval --> stores 153 into X

However, that's going against the whole concept of RPN, so if you want to use algebraic syntax, I'd suggest exiting RPN mode and save yourself some keystrokes.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RPN: yes!  Ok, no soft keys in RPM mode, got it.  And I do want to stay in RPN mode for the moment ...

Well it took me quite a while to find the shift->() single quotes key (looks like '☐' which is different from "", (), {}, and []) but yes, that works.  For others note that:

1) ALPHA->0, X, enter, Sto► --- (double quotes) is wrong, gives  (big red X) 123►"X"

2) ALPHA->x, enter --- puts the _value_ in X on the stack which is also wrong (a numeric value is an invalid var name)

3) xtΘn, enter --- also puts the value of X on the stack

So yes, perhaps the spreadsheet (instead of stray variables) is better for managing constants in equations...  it is going to take a bit to learn all the best-practices here - links to any good online guides will be appreciated.

And apologies for messing up the thread title on my first post.  😛

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation