Did you mean: 
richt2
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Prime percent margin/markup

HP Recommended
HP Prime graphing calculator

Hi just noticed that if you use the percentmargin function from the catalog menu it returns the wrong answer. percentmargin(100,200) gives 100 - it should be 50, percentmarkup(100,200) gives 50 - it should be 100. Both work fine in the finance app.

3 REPLIES 3
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Richt2 :

Try, with ...

Margin : A percentage of cost --> ((Price - Cost)/Cost) * 100 --> ((200-100)/200)*100 =    50
Markup : A percentage of price --> ((Price - Cost)/Price) * 100 --> ((200-100)/100)*100 = 100

Finance.PNG

See, the page 426, Chapter 23 Functions and Commands, from … ftp.hp.comPercent.PNG

In this examples, IMHO what the Cost never can be > to Price.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
richt2
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Make,

I thought I'd already responded to this, so apologies if you get it twice. Firstly, thanks for the reply. My point though was that the formulas as described in the manual are switched, Margin is a percentage of sale price, markup a percentage increase from cost. It calculates each correctly in the finance app, but is wrong when you pull these functions in CAS. Also the manual has a typo on the (incorrect) formula. The margin function as written should be 25 not 35. I realize that this function is probably not often used, but it should be correct. 

Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Richt2 :

You have reason. This is an error of Manual and CAS.

@cyrille and @Tim_Wessman, employies of HP securely when write these post's they will intend correct this. 

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation