Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Prime reverting to old firmwares ?

Hello all,

So you may have read my scary story here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/HP-Prime-2013-08-13-5106-bricked-thru-usbtool-scan/m-p/700...

Now the big remaining questions are:

1) can I revert back to old firmwares ?

2) If no, please explain why.

3) if yes, how can I do it and is it safe (I dont want to brick my calculator) ?

Thank you,

Fabrice

3 REPLIES 3
fdimeglio Tutor
Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So yes this is possible and quite easy actually with a Wndows machine (would not work on a Mac or a Linux box).

Basically you to follow https://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

The idea is to download an old firmware zip file, unzip it and launch "usbtools".

Then, DO SELECT "Auto update checkbox" and press on Update button.

You will see that you are uploading (there is a progress bar on both the calculator and the usbtool program) to the device the following files in that order:

1) BXCBOOT0.BIN

2) BESTAARM.ROM

3) MASTER.DAT

4) APPSDISK.DAT

and then the device will auto-reboot and you will be asked to select the language again (as it is doing a full reset).

FYI you could even select the files you want to upload (without checking the "Auto update"). This would be for advanced users.

Pfff, that was a bit scary to do it without any help, but it finally went smoothly.

Hope that helps.

Fabrice

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
707 699 110 163
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1) Highly doubtful, and not a good idea any way.

2) You probably have a new screen which isnt supported by such an old OS.

Why are you wanting to go back to versions that are not as stable, are missing features, and most likely to wipe your data?

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
fdimeglio Tutor
Tutor
11 7 2 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello Tim,

I just wanted to revert back to the original firmware the calculator was bought. As a collector, you care much more about the old stuff instead of the new stuff.

If you read my post carefully, my original HP Primes are from when it was released back in the day. So I am pretty sure it had the  original screen.

As I said with my second post, I could revert back easily with "usbtools".

Fabrice

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation