Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ciro_Bruno
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

[HP Prme] Hard time for converting temperature.

HP Recommended
HP Prime
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I've been trying to convert temperature between the units handled by HP Prime.

The results are:

1) From ˚C to ˚F = wrong conversion or no conversion;

2) from ˚C to  K = no conversion;

3) from ˚F to ˚C = no conversion;

4) from ˚F to ˚R (Rankine) = no conversion;

5) from ˚R to  K = OK;

6) from  K to ˚R = OK;

7) from  K to ˚C = no conversion;

😎 from ˚R to ˚F = no conversion.

Why?

CONVERT TEMP 01.png

CONVERT TEMP 02.png

Thank you.

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Ciro_Bruno :

For Units, don't use CAS, only use Text.

1) CONVERT(100_°C,1_°F) = 212_°F

2) CONVERT(100_°C,1_K) = 373.15_K

3) CONVERT(212_°F,1_°C) = 100_°C

4) CONVERT(100_°F,1_Rankine) = 559.67_Rankine

7) CONVERT(373.15_K,1_°C) = 100°C

😎 CONVERT(559.67_Rankine, 1_°F) = 100_°F

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It doesn't sound the problem is there. 

Take a look at all those conversions made in CAS mode:

CONVERT Other 03.png

So, I guess it's supposed to work in CAS. And I do need it to work in CAS, since I'm doing fluid mechanics calculations, involving flow energy integrals. The case involves data in a sort of units and I'm counting on HP to help me on that.

CONVERT Other 04.png

It might be a bug or some mistake I've been doing.

Any idea?

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Ciro_Bruno :

I try in CAS Mode and too result OK.

The images what you insert in post's i'm not see. Appear, i each image, one yellow triangle with gray border's. 

Can you write any example of your problem in fluid mechanics calculations, involving flow energy integrals ?. 

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've got no trouble in fluid mechanics calculations, except that it doesn't understand that different temperature units are mutually convertible in the same calculation.

That's why I've tried to convert temperature units appart from my calculations. Then I found out that temperatures had an issue for being converted.

So, when solving temperature conversions, I guess all my calculations will be ok.

I could send you the equatons case I had some equation editor. The pictures would be the best way.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Ciro_Bruno :

Your examples are solved, with ...

Cálculos.PNG

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 207
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Instead of

convert(100_(°C),1_(°F))

try

CONVERT(100_(°C),1_(°F))

with "CONVERT" typed in uppercase letters instead of lowercase.  Both work in Home, but only the latter works in CAS.

Note: Both "convert" and "CONVERT" are displayed in uppercase in the CAS history when Textbook Display mode is turned on.  To see what you actually typed, turn Textbook Display mode off (Shift Home Settings, Page 2).

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Joe_Horn wrote:

Instead of

convert(100_(°C),1_(°F))

try

CONVERT(100_(°C),1_(°F))

CONVERT TEMP 02.png

Ok, but I've been using CONVERT  in upper case in all those examples. And among all those conversions, the only ones showing troubles are exactly the temperature ones. Take a look at that:

CONVERT Other 03.png

In fact, I haven't myself choosen the upercase. I've typed the value, then the original unit, then "Sto>" and then the unit I wanted to have and ENTER. After that, in the historic, my request became "CONVERT(...". I haven't myself typed the word "CONVERT". The calculator did it.

The temperature conversion hasn't been the issue that brought me to this question. I've been using a very powerfull tool HP has that allows us to type expressions containing units from several unit systems and obtain results with corresponding measures converted to the same unit. At the end, if the answer doesn't match what's desired, just ask to convert to the wanted one and thats all.

This time, dealing with a calculation of power, I've placed a temperature in Rankine at the nominator and a constant which has Kelvin in denominator. The expected behavior was having one of them converted and the answer with both eliminated (same unit in nominator and denominator). Just a matter of dimensional analisys.

However, appart from all other calculations I've been doing this way for more than one year, this one revealed this issue regarding the temperature units. It looks like the calculator doesn't understand that all these units regard the same size (temperature). Probably that's the reason why it hasn't been converting temperature terms inside the same expression.

Considering the next picture, the calculator has been able to simplify the first calculation, but not the second. The first one didn't require conversions.

CONVERT Other 05.png

Although it is supposed to calculate expressions with data given in different units. I've tryed the following expressions just to avoid the command "CONVERT":

CONVERT Other 06.png

It looks like there are some sparse issues regarding other conversions, such as between meter (m) and yard (yd). But temperature conversions are a very critical case:

CONVERT Other 07.png

As I told before, it calculates between Kelvin and Rankine, ˚C and ˚F is quite messy, but other conversions simply doesn't. 

I guess we've this might be a bug.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ciro

0 Kudos
Ciro_Bruno
Author
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Joe_Horn wrote:

Instead of

convert(100_(°C),1_(°F))

try

CONVERT(100_(°C),1_(°F))

CONVERT TEMP 02.png

Ok, but I've been using CONVERT  in upper case in all those examples. And among all those conversions, the only ones showing troubles are exactly the temperature ones. Take a look at that:

CONVERT Other 03.png

In fact, I haven't myself choosen the upercase. I've typed the value, then the original unit, then "Sto>" and then the unit I wanted to have and ENTER. After that, in the historic, my request became "CONVERT(...". I haven't myself typed the word "CONVERT". The calculator did it.

The temperature conversion isn't itself the issue that brought me to this question. I've been using a very powerfull tool HP has that allows us to type expressions containing units from several unit systems and obtain results with corresponding measures converted to the same unit. At the end, if the answer doesn't match what's desired, just ask to convert to the wanted one and thats all.

This time, dealing with a calculation of power, I've placed a temperature in Rankine at the nominator and a constant which has Kelvin in denominator. The expected behavior was having one of them converted and the answer with both eliminated (same unit in nominator and denominator). Just a matter of dimensional analisys.

However, appart from all other calculations I've been doing this way for more than one year, this one revealed this issue regarding the temperature units. It looks like the calculator doesn't understand that all these units regard the same size (temperature). Probably that's the reason why it hasn't been converting temperature terms inside the same expression.

Considering the next picture, the calculator has been able to simplify the first calculation, but not the second. The first one didn't require conversions.

CONVERT Other 05.png

Although it is supposed to calculate expressions with data given in different units. I've tryed the following expressions just to avoid the command "CONVERT":

CONVERT Other 06.png

It looks like there are some sparse issues regarding other conversions, such as between meter (m) and yard (yd). But temperature conversions are a very critical case:

CONVERT Other 07.png

As I told before, it calculates between Kelvin and Rankine, ˚C and ˚F is quite messy, but other conversions simply doesn't. 

I guess we've this might be a bug.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ciro

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 185
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, this is correct mathematically and by design. You can't use non multiplicative units in caluclations because of the ambiguity of absolute or relative change. Any system which correct handles units will error in mixing of C and F with other units due to the ambiguousness.

Some basic "single back and forth" between C and F are supported, but very limited because there are no ambiguoties possible in that case.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation