Loris_xi
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP12C

HP Recommended
HP12C

I have owned a HP12C progamable calculator for the last 15yrs with nil faults but had to replace as the buttons stopped functioning. So in Oct 2015 I purchased a new  HP12C programmable calculator - in September 2016 a fault [Pr Error]developed and now doesn't operate.

If I purchase a new HP12C Platinum programmable calculator - which I have been told ther is nil stock in the warehouse, does the problem still exist or has the issue of the [Pr Error} been addressed and rectified in the latest versions.

I look forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

All the new HP-12C calculators are sensitive to low battery. When you get "PR Error" usually a replacement of the batteries will solve the problem. Use a good brand from a reliable source - there are many low quality rip-off batteries out there.

Also do a reset after battery replacement.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5202

(usually the keyboard reset is good enough. Remeber this will clear all user data though).

Regards.

-Bart
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your original 12C contained a "884 kilo-Hz" processor. The new one contains a "32 mega-Hz" processor. That means it is over 32 times "faster" then the original processor. Calculations which would take a minute or so with your original 12C are basically instant with the new one.

Nobody sells processors that use that little power any more though. This is why the new 12C has a faster processor in it (which is still very "slow" compared to modern standards however). The downside is that it is not as battery efficient. As Bart has explained, all you need to do is put in a new battery and you should be good.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Loris_xi
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tim,

Replaced batteries and reset as per Barts link - at present seem to be operating as it should. Many thanks, Loris

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation