Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bongofury
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP35s program feature similar to HP41 alpha recall x (arcl) or build message?

HP Recommended
hp35s

I am trying to convert some of my old HP41CV/X programs to a new HP35s calculator and am having trouble trying to figure out a way to build a string incrementally an show it later.  For example I would do some calculations, put the a value in an alpha register, do some more calculations, add a couple more characters to the alpha register, repeat until I need to show the final result.  This was usually accomplished by placing what ever was in the x stack into the alpha stack. 

With the HP35s I can only find information on using the equation feature for showing a message (with flag 10) but it seems It is an all or nothing type process and I cant build it incrementally. 

Is anyone aware of a way I can achieve the same result?

Is it possible to store alpha chars in a variable somewhere and then recalled?

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for replying so late.

To answer your question: No, the HP-35s cannot do much with alpha. As you arleady know, it can display equations entered into a program, but you cannot edit or add equations (not even alpha characters) during execution.

The HP-35s is more akin to the HP-32S and not the HP-41C_ or the HP-42S.

Outside programs, the only place you can store alhpa characters is the equation list (EQN). Only numerical items can be stored in variables (numbers, complex numbers and vectors). Even indirect address registers require numbers to refer to variables ( -1 for A to -26 for Z).

In my view the only RPN calculator on the market at the moment that is good with string manipulation is the HP-50g.

-Bart

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @bongofury:

Welcome, to Forum !.

See, this link ... but, not have, any ARCL (of, HP 41 series). Only use A ... Z variables and STO and RCL. 

[PDF]hp calculators
h20331.www2.hp.com › downloads › 35...
Calculating Using STO Arithmetic. Calculating Using RCL Arithmetic in RPN mode ... When an equation is typed on the HP 35s, it can use variables with names from A through Z

And the User Guide ...
HP 35s scientific calculator user's guide. H. Edition 1 ... Alpha Keys . ...... Programming a Stop or Pause (STOP, PSE) .
Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for replying so late.

To answer your question: No, the HP-35s cannot do much with alpha. As you arleady know, it can display equations entered into a program, but you cannot edit or add equations (not even alpha characters) during execution.

The HP-35s is more akin to the HP-32S and not the HP-41C_ or the HP-42S.

Outside programs, the only place you can store alhpa characters is the equation list (EQN). Only numerical items can be stored in variables (numbers, complex numbers and vectors). Even indirect address registers require numbers to refer to variables ( -1 for A to -26 for Z).

In my view the only RPN calculator on the market at the moment that is good with string manipulation is the HP-50g.

-Bart

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
bongofury
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  I was just hoping there was something undocumented that I could take advantage of. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation