gome_taz
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP50G Linsolve error

HP Recommended
HP50G
Other

When I enter a linear equation, say ['2*X+3*Y=13' 'X+3Y=11'] and then on the next row ['X' 'Y']  and press 'Linso' from the S.SLV menu, I get a pop up with 'LINSOLVE Error: Invalid dimension' . I'm in C=, Rad, XYZ mode. What flags or other settings should I use to stop this coming up? 

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Joe_Horn
Level 8
649 634 124 222
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Strange; my 50g returns [ 'X=2'  'Y=3' ] without any error message.  If it's a flag conflict, try resetting the CAS to its default settings by executing the CASCFG command (you can just type it out, or type MAIN and then press the F1 key).  If that doesn't help, let us know.

Needless to say, the inputs for LINSOLVE should be vectors (in single brackets), not matrices (in double brackets).  Also, LINSOLVE takes two inputs (two separate vectors), not a matrix with two rows.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
calcpeace
Level 4
54 54 7 7
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Gome_taz,

you made a typo in " ['2*X+3*Y=13' 'X+3Y=11']" !  You forgot in the second equation the explicit "*" for multiplication between "3" and "y".

If you type in " ['2*X+3*Y=13' 'X+3*Y=11']" it will work!

gome_taz
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Joe, unfortunately that doesn't work. But you showed me how to reset flags! I'm baffled.

Best regards,

Giles

gome_taz
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Calcpeace, thank you for your suggestion and for spotting the typo. Unfortunately that was only on the HP page, not the HP50G. I cant think what the problem can be.  Frustrating, because it works if i just press 'SOLVE'!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation