Post new question
Question

Grad Student
Message 1 of 7 (730 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP50g - how to combine programs & data from a few units?

Product Name: HP50g

Like  some people on this forum I have a few pieces of HP50g. On every unit there are different programs and data. I am tired of this mess and would like to combine all programs from all units into one HOME directory and install the same programs on every unit. As probably I will be making this opreation from time to time in future I am looking for efficient and convenient way of doing it. Using IR ports and sending programs from one unit to another would be very slow. Standard backup on SD card also would be not useful in my opinion (make a backup of every unit, copy to the PC, but what then?).

Would anybody on this forum have suggestions hot to make it?

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP50g - how to combine programs & data from a few units?

Hi,

Although you can't select the HOME directory as such,  but you can select and copy multiple or all the items in the HOME directory and copy them in one go to the SD card.

In the FILES menu enter the HOME directory and highlight the first item and press ENTER, the highlighted item will get a number 1 next to it. Selecting further items with ENTER will put number 2, 3 etc next to it.

When you've selected all the desired items, COPY and select destination (SD). Unfortunately the built-in FILES does not select SD card sub-directories, but I think SDFILER can: SDFILER 1.3

Regards,

Bart

View solution in context
PhD Student
Message 2 of 7 (711 Views)

Use the SD card to transfer programs between units. You can copy individual programs (and variables etc) to the SD without using the "backup". You can even copy them to a PC and use them in an emulator (and develop programs on a PC using e.g. HPUserEdit then copy to a real HP50g using the SD card).

-Bart
Message 3 of 7 (706 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, @andy11:

You can solve your problem wth editing (SysRPL and RPN/RPL), in your HP50G, if use from William Graves, Hewlett Packard and Cyrille de Brebisson, the Debug4X ... http://www.hpcalc.org/details/5441

This package included, Emulator (build in) and good examples and large, help files. v2.2 adds 48gII/49g+/50g support.

Welcome, to this Forum !.

Thank you soo much, by trusting in HP !.

Top Contributor (Gold 2016) - Expert Provost, in Spanish Forum (http://h30467.www3.hp.com) and HP Expert Program Top Contributor #HPMeetup17.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Grad Student
Message 4 of 7 (550 Views)

Thank you very much for your responses, I like both answers though prefere Bart's idea. It still needs some manual fiddling to perform, so I'm still looking for convenient way of doing it. I have not found any way to copy HOME directory to SD card (this would solve the problem), except for standard backup .Thanks again.

PhD Student
Message 5 of 7 (529 Views)

Hi,

Although you can't select the HOME directory as such,  but you can select and copy multiple or all the items in the HOME directory and copy them in one go to the SD card.

In the FILES menu enter the HOME directory and highlight the first item and press ENTER, the highlighted item will get a number 1 next to it. Selecting further items with ENTER will put number 2, 3 etc next to it.

When you've selected all the desired items, COPY and select destination (SD). Unfortunately the built-in FILES does not select SD card sub-directories, but I think SDFILER can: SDFILER 1.3

Regards,

Bart

-Bart
Message 6 of 7 (516 Views)

Thank you Bart, I'm afraid I'll have to follow you advice. Of course I know and use FILES menu. Anyway your advice is a  simplest way  of all I tried. The only problem will be with limiting the number of subdirectories in HOME because there is no way to select all subdirectories in HOME with one click, they have to be selected one after another.

Or perhaps somebody on this forum knows a way how to select HOME or all its subdirectories from a program?

Thank you again very much

PhD Student
Message 7 of 7 (490 Views)

Hi,

Not sure if you know this, but you in FILES list view you can sort by Type (NXT NXT F6 then choose Type), this will group the directories together and then you can just keep tapping ENTER until all sub-directories are selected (you still can't select them with one stroke, but at least you don't have to jump over files you don't want).

Side note:

SORT does not influence the actual order of the files, just how they are displayed at the time

ORDER will actually order the files according to the selection (1, 2, 3 etc as selected with ENTER), e.g. if you do this in HOME then you will see the new order when going to VAR.

Sorry if I am stating things you already know - it's just that I don't recall reading this anywhere and found most of it by trial and error.

Regards,

Bart

-Bart