kcnicho Tutor
Tutor
10 7 1 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has the HP Prime been abandoned for iOS?

HP Prime
iOS 12 - 12.0.1

Seems the HP Prime calculator has become abandonware on iOS. Crash problems remain for months/years that have been fixed (or don’t exist) on the actual calculator. Example from user manual:  exp2trig(exp(i*x)). Crashes every time. Many other examples as noted in iOS store page user comments. Much frustration & low ratings. Paid $25. Expected better from HP. 

Any comments from HP?

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Kcnicho :

Try, Reset, the virtual Calculator and then, put in CAS Mode, as ...

Reset the calculator.jpg 

Note : The result, is OK.

From User Guide ...

Syntaxis :

exp2trig() :

Results :

Returns an expression with complex exponentials rewritten in terms of sine and cosine. exp2trig(Expr)

Example: exp2trig(exp(i*x)) gives cos(x)+(i)*sin(x)

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
PD : The experience is like a comb you want to use, when you're bald.
0 Kudos
kcnicho Tutor
Tutor
10 7 1 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Make

Thank you for the suggestion.  

It appears your screen shots are from the PC calculator emulator.  Unfortunately, the iOS version has no similar menu with a reset option.  I'll try uninstalling and re-installing.

iOS calculator was in CAS mode.  Just tried again and it instantly crashes.  Tried on an actual physical HP Prime I own, and it gives the correct results.

Just seems that the iOS version (even though fairly pricey at $25 for the "pro" version) gets little attention as far as updates and fixing problems.  Very sad, as it could easily be THE BEST virtual calculator in the app market.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Kcnicho :

I'm contact with the moderator of this Forum, for intend help to you across the creator's of HP Prime App, for iPhone/iPad.

Don't worry !. Wait few days.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
PD : The experience is like a comb you want to use, when you're bald.
0 Kudos
2098 2059 114 412
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tim_Wessman ,

I have a request from @Maké  asking if you could please assist this customer kcnicho  due to "Apparently is a error in the firmware of the App, of iTunes."

Thank you.

Cheers, 

Cheron

I work on behalf of HP
kcnicho Tutor
Tutor
10 7 1 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Cheron-Z

I have tried deleting the HP Prime (pro) app from my iPad, and re-loading it from scratch, using all default settings.  Still immediately crashes when I try to calculate exp2trig(e^i*x) in CAS mode.  Verified this works on "real" calculator, as well as the PC emulator.

using iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 2nd generation, iOS version 12.1.3

Thanks for your help

- Kevin

0 Kudos
kcnicho Tutor
Tutor
10 7 1 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just checking back in.  Haven't seen any activity recently.

Any updates?  Is the iOS crashing issue being worked on, or is it even "in the queue"?

I've seen a few other posts on other forums with the same issues, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

Please let us know how things are going out there.  Active communication with your customers goes a long way.

Thanks,

- Kevin

0 Kudos
9prayer Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased HP Prime Pro on iOS. I have the same issue. I tried on iPhone and iPad. Both crash with HP Prime Pro v2.1, when doing any calculation in CAS mode.

0 Kudos
isiora Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The same is true for me. In CAS mode simply digiting 'x' and then pressing 'Enter' make the app to crash. 

0 Kudos
matytsin Tutor
Tutor
6 5 1 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use real HP Prime at home, Android HP Prime Pro on my phone with android 5.1, IOS HP Prime on iPad Pro 12.9 with latest IOS, and windows Virtual HP Prime.

On my own I have had problems with Android version of HP Prime, but with the latest update the problem gone.

But on iPad the problems in CAS still persists. Any operation in CAS mode can make application to crash.

One of my simpliest example is as follows:

right after fully reinstalling HP Prime Pro on iPad

x- unassigned variable.

in CAS

solve((pi-x)^2=1,x) crashes application

All other platforms emulators and real HP Prime do the right answer +-1/pi

It looks like the latest updates of IOS do not taken into account and IOS version of HP Prime Pro is simply incompatibe with the latest versions of IOS. I think this can be verifyed by setting the IOS HP Prime Pro on device with old IOS version and check the same tests there. Unfortunately I do not have any device with the old IOS onboard. If anyone can test this please reply.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation