Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EladLending
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

How does one copy a result from an app and paste it on to the stack for further calculations?

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator

I often solve problems that might involve say, finding the value of complex number variables, using the HREF function in Matrices, and then further manipulating to results algebraically on the stack.  Surely there's a way to do that, right?  I mean, it can't be that I have to write the result down manually and rewrite it in "Home Mode", right? But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it, nor can I find any mention of the problem in the manual, or in any third party youtube tutorial.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please define "copy a result from an app" better if you'd like specific help. Right now you are mixing terms and it is very unclear what you are actually wanting.

Here are some methods to move data betweem differemt places:

1. COPY button (shift views). (no need to be retyping...)

2. App variables (VAR menu, APP submenu)

3. From home/cas - press MENU and click the Get from Home/Cas option in there.

4. Type the name of the variable, or press VAR to access more.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tim, thanks for answering promptly.  I apologize for not phrasing the question properly.  I'm an old-time fluent HP48 user who just now is trying, so far somewhat unsuccessfully, to get my head around the HP Prime's different way of doing things. After posting last night, I made a 'breakthrough' of sorts.  In any case I understand your answer, and  I'll try to ask a better question next time. I think there will be a next time, but I'll try not to jump the gun.  Is there an easy way to post a 'screen shot' on this forum to better explain my problem? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tim, please consider the following?

Home mode

template 6 (matrix)

37.189+i12.679               -5                                 120

-5                                           42.755+i22.943     120

sto m2

cas

toolbox Math 7 (Matrix), 3 (RREF)

var 4 (Matrix)

2 (M2)

Enter

Now the solution to the two variables whose coefficients comprise the first two columns of the matrix is:

3.121 - i1257

2.401- i1.435

Now, suppose I want to further manipulate the result.  

a. Subtract the second from the first.

b. convert to polar form, square the absolute value and multiply each result by a different value.

That would be easy to do on the stack.  What is the best way to get these two results of  RREF on the stack?

Hope this was clearer this time.

Thank you in advance, and have a great weekend. Elad

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are some thought:

1. Store into an intermediate variable (M3 for example) and then use direct row/col access. In the home screen:

M3:=RREF(M2)   then M3(-3) returns your column as a vector.

2. Use the SUB command, or col command to do the same thing.

There are probably some more ways, but those are the ones that come to mind.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to correctly follow your suggestion.  I'm really a newbie with this calculator.  Would you kindly flesh it out for me?

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tap twice your result in order to copy it to the command line, next press Sto M3, and you will have stored your matrix in variable M3.

You now can easily address its elements by M3(i,j).

You are interested in the elements in the third column, so you have to use M3(1,3) and M3(2,3).

You can also get the elements directly, without storing the result in M3.

For this purpose use: Ans(1,3) ans Ans(2,3).

This only works in CAS mode.

0 Kudos
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Jan!  I actually came up with this by myself last night!  Slowly making progress with this amazing and yet difficult machine.  I miss the HP 48's elegant simplicity.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation