Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

How to make matrix with symbols in HP 50g graphing calculator

HP Recommended
HP 50g graphing calculator

Hi dear HP community, 

I want to make matrix with symbols, when i enter this :

[ [ "YWX" "WYWX" ] [ "WYRT" "QTQY" ] ] I'm getting this kind of error: "Invalid Syntax" ... don't know why that and how to solve this. Please help 🤔

Best regards 🙂 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Joe_Horn
Level 8
635 622 121 213
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP Prime User Guide, in the chapter about matrices, says, "Matrices may contain any combination of or real and complex numbers".  In Home view, and in the built-in matrices M0 through M9, matrices can only contain numbers, not strings or any other kind of object.  In CAS view, you can put almost anything inside of square brackets, so see if what you want to do can be done in CAS view.  If not, then Prime can't do it.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP, but HP calculators work for me.

-Joe-
ramon_ea1gth
Level 2
2 2 2 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess that Mr. Joe Horn, who really knows a lot about the HP 50g (I bet it is one of their beloved calculators), got confused when answering this question and jumped to the HP Prime.

Matrices in HP 50g can include numbers or algebraic objects, like 78, 'a', '3*b+5', but not strings like "Hello" or "ABC". To work with sets of strings, lists are the suitable tool, e.g.,: {"XYZ"} or {{"XYZ" "abc"} {"UIO" "ghu"}}

And definitely, the list processing commands are extremely powerful in HP 50g!

Joe_Horn
Level 8
635 622 121 213
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oops! Ramon is right: I mistakenly thought the question was about the HP Prime, not the HP 50g.  Sorry! 😖

-Joe-
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation