Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKova
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

How to setup my HP 50g calculator from Algebraic calculator mode to RPN calculator mode using RPL ?

HP Recommended

Hello dear HP community , 

In this topic I would ask you a question , as a tittle suggest , the question is - how to setup your ( or mine ) in this case HP 50g graphing calculator from Algebraic calculator mode to RPN calculator mode using UserRPL ( if possible ) or maybe using the other sort of programming compatible with HP 50g graphing calculator ?

I heard of function SYSEVAL but I'm not sure how exactly to use it , if there exist any list of codes ( I mean of example code : #2F389h ; description of a function : Display the version string of a calculator , and so on for each other code because i think that are plenty of them ) for this function and description of each one , I will be very grateful :generic:

Thanks for a answer , 

Best regards , :OpenSmile:

Josip Kova :OpenSmile:

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @JKova :

SYSEVAL and #naddress - Display the version string of a calculator by executing #2F389h SYSEVAL (HPHP49-C).

Is in reality the header of HP50G in compliled program in SysRPL.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah man but that did not resolve my problem or my task , my task is not to "show a version of my calculator" , but i wrote that because I really does not any of these code ... so as example I took that code .

And yeah i know to use SYSEVAL function , but how to setup my HP 50g from 'Algebraic' to 'RPN' mode , 

If you have a lists of all these codes please reply or something useful to me :HalfEyes:

Thanks ,

Have a nice day ,

Josip Kova

0 Kudos
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RPN vs. Algebraic mode is referred to as the "Operating Mode" of the 50g. As I believe you are already aware, changing that mode is normally accomplished by pressing the MODE key and changing the first entry (which is already highlighted when you activate the MODE function). An easy way to toggle that setting is to simply press the +/- key, then OK (or ENTER) to save the change.

That mode is also represented by system flag -95.  When system flag -95 is clear, the 50g is in RPN mode.  System flag -95 being set indicates Algebraic mode.  This allows you to not only check the mode in a running program, but also to change the setting if needed by using the standard flag manipulation commands (SF, CF, FS?C, etc.).

0 Kudos
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear @Make ,

Sorry if I was so rude or so brute about comment that you suggested . But if I can be honest with you , you suggested and explained me an a function that I already use and tested it with no any doubt about working . In a particular case it will giving a current version of my calculator .

The point is that I need something useful , as an example how to switch Algebraic/RPN mode using UserRPL ( or whatelse language is needed for )

I also studied  this topic and I found some , maybe interesting , materials on the internet and I will post this materials right below .

But unfortunately these materials that I found are written for HP48SX ( at best case ) and even earlier programmable HP graphing calculators :HalfEyes:

Here is a materials that I had found :

1. SYSEVAL Keys ( for calculator HP48SX ) :

myhttps://www.hpcalc.org/details/8624

2. Somewhere from Wikipedia - Programming HP Calculators/Commands/Easter Egg Commands

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming_HP_Calculators/Commands/Easter_Egg_Commands

3. HP 48SX Machine language - i hope that is some useful material :

https://books.google.hr/books?id=-pDqsUszxc4C&pg=PA240&lpg=PA240&dq=SYSEVAL&source=bl&ots=GFs_dkaHK4...

I did not find anything interesting except this ( above ) materials

And also I wanted to know where can I find this addresses which you describe as  #naddres .

Is there exist any list of something like that with descriptions and addressees of SYSEVAL function for HP 50g graphing calculator ?

Do you maybe know where can I find them , #address ( number of address ) of each one SYSEVAL function ?

That would help me a lot not just for this particular task ( switching from Algebraic to RPN calculator mode ) , but for others too :Glasses: :generic:

Again I really apologise to you :HalfEyes:

Thank you for forward if you got a solution for me ( and not just you , any of you HP Users ) !!:Wink:

Best regards ,

Josip Kova

0 Kudos
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @David M. ,

But Can I also change using functions SFCFFS?C, etc. ... modes from Algebraic to RPN calculator mode ?

I just tried couple of times but nothing happened for me .  I finnaly realize that I can not write from Algebraic to RPN or maybe I don't know how to write ... hhhhhmmm :HalfEyes:

For those of you who was telling me that I physically must go to my keayboard of HP 50g and by  pressing a mode key and +/- key then finnaly OK key - Forget it about that ...

Because i work on a program in User RPL ( if possible ) and I want to do without using any key because this is important part of my program .

Can You please tell me ( write ) David M. what I must type to my HP 50g in order to switch from Algebraic calculator mode TO RPN mode ?

Thank you for your answer ,

Have I nice day :OpenSmile:

Josip Kova

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try with the address entries, from ... https://www.hpcalc.org/details/5476

Too, from learn SysRPL, you can see the Carstens Dominik and Eduardo M. Kalinowski, from ... https://www.hpcalc.org/details/5142

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Josip -

I'm sorry if my previous response was not clear enough.

First, a note about semantics. There are two different kinds of flags available on the 50g, and they are referred to as System Flags and User Flags. In both cases, they are referenced by number (1-128). The way to distinguish between the two types is to note their sign; User Flags are always positive, and System Flags are always negative. So when I mentioned previously that changing System Flag -95 is how you switch between Algebraic and RPN mode in a program, the sign is important.

Specifically, an RPN program can set the 50g to RPN operating mode by clearing flag -95:

« -95 CF »

...and likewise Algebraic mode can be activated by setting flag -95:

« -95 SF »

Setting a flag that's already set or clearing a flag that's already clear has no effect, so you don't need to check the current status before running either of the above sequences.

Regarding SYSEVAL addresses, there's no comprehensive list available of all possible entries. Furthermore, the functions accessed in that matter are usually specific to each particular model and can also vary by operating system release for a given calculator. In essence, SYSEVAL takes the address you give it and starts executing whatever stream of bytes happens to be stored there (regardless of whether it is actual code or not). This is why SYSEVAL comes with a stern warning in the Advanced Users Reference manual:

WARNING: Use extreme care when executing this function. Using SYSEVAL with random addresses will almost always cause a memory loss. Do not use this function unless you know what you are doing.

That said, some RPL functions are at so-called "stable" addresses and are safe to use within a given family of calculators; these are ones people most often make references to in forums and usenet posts. Gaining more insight into how to use SYSEVAL effectively requires a deeper understanding of the way RPL code is processed internally. The best way to do this is to learn about System RPL, which is an exercise that works much better if you already understand the major components of User RPL (especially flow control and syntactical structure). One of the best resources for learning about System RPL is this reference manual.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @JKova :

If you work in SysRPL, you can see ...

#2A904h - RPNDecomp1Line ( ob → $ )

Same as <REF>Decomp1Line but enforce RPN mode (system flag 95 clear) during execution. 

Flags: -95

#2AA43h - AlgDecomp ( ob → $ ) Calls <REF>DecompEdit with a few checks around it.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation