cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdliquid
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How to store a variable on HP Prime in RPN mode?

HP Recommended
HP Prime calculator

Hi

Just bought a brand new HP Prime and having a lot of problems using it and would appreciate if someone can help. 

1. How to store a variable on HP Prime in RPN mode? For Textbook or Algebraic, there is a STO> Menu button below the screen. But for RPN, there is no STO> button to save a value to a variable to be use later on in the future.

2. When I pressed the HOME button, nothing happens? Is that expected? when pressed Shift Home, then it gives me the Home Settings and it is correct.

Thanks for the helps

RdliquidRPN_mode.JPGAlgebraic_mode.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Horn
Level 8
650 635 124 222
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

(1.) RPN mode always assumes that all arguments are already on the stack before you perform the desired operation on them. This is true also for storing numbers into a variable.  There are two situations to consider: if the variable already exists (e.g. a user variable that you already created, or a permanently built-in system variable like X or Y, that is, any single letter in uppercase), or if the desired variable does not already exist.  Here's how to handle both of those situations:

(1.A) First, place the desired value on the stack.  Then:

(1.B.) If the desired variable ALREADY EXISTS, then put it on the stack IN SINGLE QUOTE MARKS (on the Shift parentheses key).  This tells Prime not to evaluate the variable, but to simply put its name on the stack.  Examples: 'X' or 'Y', which always exist, or 'xyz' if you already created it. Now go to step 1.D.

(1.C.) If the desired variable does NOT already exist, type it WITHOUT single quote marks and press Enter.  Prime will ask you if you want to create that variable.  Press OK.  This creates the variable, so now return to step 1.B. above.

(1.D.) Press the Sto key (Shift EEX).  Whatever is in level 2 will be stored in the variable whose name is on level 1.

Notice how this "feels" like RPN, that is, you put the objects on the stack first, and then performed an operation on them.  Prime RPN is pretty faithful to that paradigm.

(2.) Pressing the Home key in RPN mode displays the RPN stack.  Try alternating between CAS and Home to see the difference.  If you press Home when you're already Home (viewing the RPN stack), nothing will happen.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP but I love playing with their calculators.

-Joe-
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
rdliquid
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your helps. This completely answered my questions. It is not as easy as I though as compare to HP50g which I am used to. I am also surprised that it is not mentioned in the user manual of HP Prime

Thanks again,

Rdliquid

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation