Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Highlighted
papa21spo Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IMPORTING SYSTEM FROM HP-50G TO HP PRIME CALCULATORS

HP-50G CALCULATOR
Other

I need to transfer a System of 400 programs from the HP-50G to HP PRIME calculators. There are directories and sub-directories in HP-50G BUT it's not the case with HP PRIME. Is that a possible task to be done?

4 REPLIES
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
462 73 125
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP 50g and HP Prime use totally incompatible programming languages, and their command sets and feature sets are very different. Therefore it is impossible to "transfer" programs from one to the other.  The functionality of some 50g RPL programs can be duplicated by HP Prime PPL programs, but they would have to be written by somebody who thoroughly knows both RPL and PPL.  For all but trivial programs, it is far easier to design Prime software from scratch with Prime's feature set in mind, than attempt to translate RPL into PPL.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
papa21spo Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your insights!!! I appreciate them and especially your prompt response.

You're right about the difficulties in "transfering" between two different platforms, BUT taking that into account what worries me more is the absence of structured directories in HP PRIME for such a tremendous amount of programs (400 - yes, four hundred). Is it possible for HP PRIME accomodate all of them? And how to manage these 400 programs without folders / sub-folders (like TI-Nspire) or without directories / sub-directories (like HP-50G)??

Thanks again for your kind attention.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
667 106 147
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you have provided no information, we can't even begin to suggest what you might want to know. What you have basically said is equivalent to "I have stuff, I want to make it go" ...

Organization in Prime is actually better in many ways. You can have hidden variables, applications, and program libraries. Working in a gazillion directories is generally not a very efficient way to do it.

Joe is right however, you are talking a rewrite. If your programs are a bunch of forumulas that calculatre things... probably not too much. If it  is a bunch of linked stack input commands mixed with some UI stuff, probably much more work.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
papa21spo Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot. You wrote: " You can have hidden variables, applications, and program libraries. " And I ask: where in the user's guide is the information about hidden applications and hidden program libraries? 

Thanks again for your answer.

Paul

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation