Level 2
14 6 2 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Indefinite integral in normal mode?

HP Recommended
HP Prime

Can "Home" mode on an HP Prime do an indefinite integral?  When I input:  ∫ 3*sin(X)dX  in Home mode, it returns "Error: Syntax Error," but in CAS mode it returns  -3*cos(x),  which is what I expect.  How do you do an indefinite integral in Home mode?

Other questions:

• Why does Home mode expect an upper-case X variable, but CAS expects lower-case?  It's tedious to have to change one to the other, and it's perplexing as to why the calculator cares.  (More generally, Home mode expects and defaults to upper-case letters, while CAS expects and defaults to lower-case).

• Why are there two modes—Home and CAS?  What does one do that the other doesn't?  The Prime manual and built-in help just say CAS is for "symbolic calculations" and offers "additional functions".  Can anyone expound on these statements?  I've even read Wikipedia's page on CAS, and it's not clear why it exists or what it does differently.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @FailingBetter :

In Home (not CAS), you must write the integral, as ... int(3*sin(X)) and press "Enter" key ...

Indefinite Integral.PNG 

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
FailingBetter
Author
Level 2
14 6 2 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's what I get, trying a couple different ways, all in Home mode:

INT(3*SIN(X))  –>  "Error: Syntax Error" (with no explanation.)

int(3*SIN(X))  –>  0

If I use the Math Template key, then tap Integral, it insists on an upper and lower bound, and that I specify the variable for integration.  If I leave these blank, it returns "Error: Syntax Error" (again, this error comes with no explanation; I've had to deduce what this is about.)

Thank you, Maké, for your help!

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @FailingBetter :

I have the calculator HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, model NW280#ABA, purchase in the site of Eric Rechlin www.hpcalc.org

Today have installed the ultimate version of software, from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime

Too, is installed ...

Firmware.

Connectivity kit.

Virtual Emulator.

In both the result is OK in Home (not CAS) and CAS too.

If you use the calculator, can reset the calculator with the point of paper clip into the orifice site approx. in the middle of rear case. Then, try again.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
FailingBetter
Author
Level 2
14 6 2 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maké,

I just checked ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/ and my Prime is running the latest firmware, 2.1.14181 (2018 10 16).  The hardware is rev. D (2AP18AA), and the Operating System is V2.060.650.

I bought it new one week ago.  Before doing anything, I updated the firmware using the Connectivity Kit.  I haven't installed any apps or done any custom configuration.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You calculator is G2, then the Firmware is ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/HP_Prime_Calculator_G2_Firmware_20181016.zip

Intend install HP Connectivity Kit and Virtual Emulator, from X64 files.

Try again.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
0 Kudos
FailingBetter
Author
Level 2
14 6 2 2
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For no reason, it seems, this is working today.  I didn't have to update the firmware again or reset the calculator.  Strange, but okay.

Thanks again for your help!

Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation