Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Independent variable button

HP Recommended
HP Prime

I've just bought a new Prime calculator and after playing with it for a couple of hours discovered that the independent variable button now returns A instead of X. It happens in all applications, both CAS and numeric mode. Whatever I do, I can't get it back to the original X-t-theta-n function. No matter what application I try, it always prints A.

Any idea what I did wrong? I've updated the firmware to the latest version, with no help.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Joe_Horn
Level 8
624 611 118 208
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The variable will change depending on which app you're in (which you can determine from the title bar at the top of Prime's screen).  For example, in the Solve app, that key types "A".

To have it type "X", change the current app to any of the apps which use "X".  For example, press Apps, Function, Home.  See "Function" in the title bar, and press the [x t theta n] key.  See X, as desired.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
celltx
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. This is indeed solved that. The marking on the independent variable is misleading though. I thought the only possible states are X, t, theta, and n. I'm curious what's the logic to change it to A in solver app?

0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
624 611 118 208
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since there is not an "independent variable" per se in the Solve app's equations (e.g. C+D=F/G is a valid equation), the [x t theta n] key automatically types the first variable found in the equation currently being edited.  For example, if C+D=F/G is stored in E1, and you highlight E1 and click Edit, then pressing the [x t theta n] key will type C (not A), because C is the first variable found in that equation.  This even works with two-character variables; when editing R2+D2=C3+P+O, that key will type R2.  When creating a new equation, it defaults to the first letter of the alphabet because it can't know ahead of time which variables you're going to use.

-Joe-
celltx
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, Joe! This pretty much answers on all my questions.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation