Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKova
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Information about HP 50g and HP Prime - how many functions they have ?

HP Recommended
HP 50g
Hello dear HP Community members ,
I want to know how ( if possible excactly ) many fuctions and command are built in HP 50g and also how many these are built in HP Prime graphing calculators , because my colleage whch is good in programming tells that HP 50g has around of 2300 functions built in , is that information correct .
And if possible , where did you find that information ( i need excactly adress on the internet or some other source )

Thank You for an answer .
Have a nice day
J.Kova
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the real story on the "2300" functions. This was before my time as a developer in the HP Calculator group, but I know this information is accurate.

Marketing came to R&D  for the 49G and said "we need to know how many functions this has so we can easily sell it without knowing anything detailed about the product". R&D said, "Count of functions doesn't really mean anything and is basically impossible to define because a single 'function' might have many ways to use it. Do you count one screen that can be used in 50 ways as 50 functions? Or just 1?"... and so on.

They continued to request a number and just wanted "the number of direct commands a user can call". So R&D gave them the entire list of internal function and library calls and said something like "There are 50000 or more" with the reasoning that the user can access them using PTREVAL and LIBEVAL calls.

Marketing then said "Nobody would beleive that! I like 2300. 2300 is a good number and we are going with that!"

So there you go. That is where the oft repeated "2300" came from. It was totally pulled out of someones head. Note that no calculator manufacturers still continue using the "number of functions" in marketing materials anymore. It really just never made sense once things go past the "one key, one or two functions" stage.

For reference, an unaltered out of box 50g reports it has 771 "commands" in the catalog. An HP Prime with the latest reports about 890 unique functions.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
JKova
Author
Level 4
138 92 2 5
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello ,
What a great story , but i'm interested in one more thing , how excactly functions ( up to now ) have a "brand new" graphing calculator HP Prime .
You told me that he have 890 functions in comparison of HP 50g which counts a 771 functions in catalog .
I want to know a real number ( functions + commands + whatewer else is built in HP Prime ... )
of functions , as I have information of HP 50g number of functions which counts an 2300 ... all functions and else stuff .
How many of these Can I get when , I supposed to have a HP Prime.
How excactly numbers of functions in HP Prime has a HP Prime wright now ?
Thank you for answer ....
Have a nice day.
J.Kova
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation