dantheman3448
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Issues with user variables and solver

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator

Created the following user variables and formula. TOTM=(MOM1+MOM2+MOM3)/DIVR. When i then try to solve numicerially just the equation without the /DIVR, everything is orderly in a single vertical column and able to see all of the variables. When I use DIVR variable (/DIVR) when i try to solve, i get 2 vertical columns and the variables only show the first letter and then 3 or 4 dots, so i cannot tell which variable i am trying to solve for. Any suggestions for this glitch is greatly appreciated. This is a basic aviation moment formula. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 206
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which app are you using? The Solve app handles it perfectly:

If you are using Solve, please say how you're using it and where you're getting stuck. If you're using some other app or solver, please let us know which one, since there are many of each in the HP Prime.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP, but I love HP calculators.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
dantheman3448
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am trying to use the formula in solve. I modified the formula like this to try and get it to work and took out the number.  TOTM=(MOMP+MOMF+MOMFS+MOMRS+MOMBC)/DIVR.  

TOTM=Total Moment 

MOMP=Moment of the plane

MOMF= Moment of the fuel

MOMFS= Moment of pilot and front seat passenger.

MOFBS=Moment of rear seat passenger

MOMBC=Moment of the baggage compartment. 

DIVR=A divesor which in this case is 1000. 

I still get the same results on my prime when using the divisor. I must be doing something wrong but don't know what it is. Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.  In fact I have found that it appears the max amount of characters you can use with user variables that are visible in solver appears to be 5.  Anything over that is just blanked out. Let me know on that to please. 

Thanks

Dan 

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @dantheman3448:

See, this single program ...

IMG_20170413_233725.jpg

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 206
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Dan, I understand now. After trying your longer formula, I now see the problem you were describing: The names of the variables in the Numeric View are truncated on the screen so badly that they can't be identified, rendering the Solver app not useable.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent the Solve app from truncating the names is by using variables with shorter names.  For example, instead of MOMRS, just use MRS.  If you have enough variables to cause the Solve app to create two columns in Numeric View, then use variable names no longer than 3 characters... something short but recognizable.

Suggestion: TM=(MP+MF+MFS+MRS+MBC)/D works perfectly and is readable enough. In fact, all those leading M's can be omitted too.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
dantheman3448
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Joe i will try renaming the user variables with a shorter name and run the formula again. Is there a way to let HP know about this issue which is something they may be able to modify in the future. Would be nice to user variable names you can fully recognize, maybe a 10 charachter limit. By the way, any place on the internet that can give you more detailed info regarding solver and its limitations?? HP user manual only limited information.  

0 Kudos
dantheman3448
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Mak'e. Problem is I have only had the calculator one week and just getting use to it, so I have absoutley no idea what to do with your little program. Anyhow I will hang onto your program for the future. Thanks so much for responding. 

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can see, description of how create, a Program ... http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-216.html

If you didn't understand, please write, and I can step by step explain, this.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation