Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Key Names

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator

The name of the Vars key is incorrectly listed in the User guide.  Its is "K_Vars" and not "K_Vars_" as listed. this I discovered by guessing when the key assignment did not work, but...

The name given for the "a_b\c" key is also apparently listed incorrectly, as I am unable to assign a user-function to this key.  Does anyone know the correct name?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Joe_Horn
Level 8
628 615 119 211
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which version of the User Guide do you have? The "Second Edition (September 2016)" says that the name of the fraction key is K_Abc so please try that.

EDIT: Hmm... I just tried assigning something to the K_Abc key, and nothing happened. Anybody here know what's up with making assignments on the fraction key?

Thanks for pointing out the error in the Vars key name.  It has the Enter key name wrong too. I'm sure they will be fixed in future editions.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I get the Vars key working right by while in Program editor, pressing the Menu key, choosing "Create user key", pressing the Vars key, and the correct program framework is automatically created.

Surely handy!

But the a b/c key behaves really strangely....

Nothing happens when I press it, but I keep staying in User mode, also when I pressed Shift User only once.

Joe_Horn
Level 8
628 615 119 211
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I found the answer, but it's disappointing.

Old posting at the HP Museum forum indicate that the fraction key is handled in a special way in Home mode, with the result that user assignments on that key only work when you're not explicitly in the Home view screen. So they do work when you're in the Notes editor and so on. So it's a known bug. Until they fix it in a future firmware update, only assign things to the fraction key (and Shift-fraction) which you'll only use outside of the Home view screen.

Assignments to the Alpha-fraction key, and to the Alpha-Shift-Fraction key, apparently do work in Home view.

-Joe-
EladLending
Author
Level 3
44 34 2 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe, you're terrific.  Thank you.  I spent a good part of today learning and practicing with the Prime.  I'll be needing soon, as I'll be starting to teach another course in Electrical Theory at a community college here, and it'll be the first time I'll be doing it without my trusty HP48!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation