Level 1
10 7 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Need help with mode, please

HP Recommended
hp 30b business professional

I love this calculator -- in RPN mode.  However, from time to time, it just slips out of this mode.  I have no idea why this happens; to my knowledge, I'm not doing anything to cause it.  It irritates me, because it stops my work and requires that I figure out how to reset the mode (yes, I have the manual, and I can look it up, thanks).  Please tell me how to PREVENT this from happening -- since I use the calculator only in RPN mode, it seems to me that it should stay in RPN mode.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, eyedee:

Welcome, to Forum !.

You can configurate RPN, with ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-30b-Business-Professional-Calculator/4031708/model/4031709/do...

If nothing happen, you can perform RESET. See, this link ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02032376

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
eyedee
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 1
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@eyedee wrote:

I love this calculator -- in RPN mode.  However, from time to time, it just slips out of this mode.  I have no idea why this happens; to my knowledge, I'm not doing anything to cause it.  It irritates me, because it stops my work and requires that I figure out how to reset the mode (yes, I have the manual, and I can look it up, thanks).  Please tell me how to PREVENT this from happening -- since I use the calculator only in RPN mode, it seems to me that it should stay in RPN mode.

Thanks.

Thanks for your time and trouble.  However, as you may be able to see, my question was not how to understand the stacks or how to reset the calculator; my question was how to PREVENT the calculator from slipping out of RPN mode.  While I have looked at both articles you referred to, I still do not have an answer to my question.  I would appreciate a response that addresses the stated problem, if anyone is able to provide that, please.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hola !, @eyedee:

Only, I can you help, with ... http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c02032093#stack

One, little gift ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-30b-Business-Professional-Calculator/4031708/model/4031709/ho...

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
eyedee
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 1
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

.   .   .    but I will not repeat myself: to do so would be rude.  

0 Kudos
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 207
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure that there are only three ways that Prime can change from RPN mode without warning:

(1) The System variable "Entry" is getting changed by a program or function.  Check your programs and functions to see if "Entry:=0" or "Entry:=1" (or equivalent) is in any of them.  If so, that's what's causing the problem.

(2) You are accidentally changing it.  That's unlikely, of course, but do you ever change anything else in page 1 of Home Settings?  There are several key sequences that change the various fields in Settings.

(3) If a system bug corrupts memory, Prime will act unpredictably afterwards until memory is reset.  If neither #1 nor #2 apply to you, I'd suggest resetting your Prime's memory.  If the standard reset doesn't help (Shift Mem, Shift Esc, OK), a total memory wipe may be necessary (Power off; press and hold down the three letter keys C and F and O (not zero); press On; when you see EA656 DIAGNOSTIC, release those three letter keys you've been holding down; press 4; press 3; press Enter; when you see a blue OK press Esc; press 9 to reboot; memory will be at brand-new from-the-factory condition).  Although you can use the Connectivity Kit to backup your programs before wiping memory, please note that backing up corrupted memory is not always helpful, since restoring from that backup might re-corrupt memory again.

Please let us know whether any or none of the above help.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP.  I'm just another HP Prime user.

-Joe-
eyedee
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 1
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe, thank you so much!  I'll try these and let you know if the problem recurs.  Meantime, I really appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
eyedee
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 1
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe, thank you so much!  I will try these possibilities and let you know if the problem recurs.  Meantime, thanks for your thoughtful and timely response

p.s.  I've tried these:  do you know that my device does not have many of the keys you have referred to?  It's okay;  I can dig out the manual and reset the calculator when when it slips out of "mode": I just think HP should create a calculator that does not require me to do so.

I suppose I can go to TI next time I'm in the market, or I can keep hoping HP will get it together.  I'm in no particular rush right now.

0 Kudos
Rainfilters
Level 1
1 1 1 1
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem.  I do have 3 HP 30b calculators.  Two remained permanently in RPN and one had this in/out issue.  After some trials it appears that if you enter the mode change to get to RPN and you hit the on/ce button to exit the mode change menu, the calculator will revert to Chain when it auto powers off (after ~ 6 min).  If you hit the BLUE (mode shift) button twice before hitting the on/ce button to exit, RPN will survive the auto power off reset and the regular on/off cycle.

Danilton
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I'll try some tips I read here in the comments

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation