Did you mean: 
joeytaft
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Partial Failure of Keyboard

HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Wireless Calculator

I have an issue with my calculator in which about half the keys on the keyboard have stopped working. I have tried resetting the calculator a variety of different ways but nothing seems to work. Is it time to give it up or is there something I haven’t tried that will correct this issue? I have had it for only 15 months, which is a big disappointment and a big issue in determining if I should replace it or just move my workflow over to my iPhone. I just prefer the keys on the calculator to my iPhone touchscreen when entering calculations. Does anyone know if the Hp Prime app on IOS can use the same user made programs?

9 REPLIES 9
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @joeytaft:

You have in iTunes, one free emulator of HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, from ... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-prime-lite/id1208226883?mt=8

If you have any notebook or, Desktop, you can download and install Connectivity kit, Firmware and Virtual Emulator. Then, open the Connectivity Kit and with the cable connector USB2.0 high velocity - microUSB, connect the HP PRIME

calculator.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

If have programs, you can with copy and paste, copy the structure and send by email to iPhone and next time, copy to Emulator of iPhone, Virtual HP PRIME emulator, mentioned previously.

For you HP PRIME, you can try realize check the keys, with ...

1) Turn off, the calculator. Press C+F+O and mainteined pressioned, press ON by few seconds.

2) Appear the EA656 DIAGNOSTIC.

3) Press 5.Evaluation and ENTER.

4) Press 7.KEY and ENTER.

5) Press each Key with fail, for verify if really denoted fail (NG) --> No Good

6) For Exit, press Esc and in the principal menu press 9.RESET and ENTER.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
joeytaft
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Maké

Thank you for your advise.

I do have a backup of my programs and I am glad the IOS emulator will run my existing programs.

I was able to run the test by using the touchscreen to select the menu item and the enter button. As you can see below all of the number keys (with the exception of 0) are non-functioning. Below are two screenshots I took of the test results.

Below are the screenshots of the test

Test reporting "NG" - No GoodTest reporting "NG" - No GoodKeys that are not registering (Black = Good, White = No Good)Keys that are not registering (Black = Good, White = No Good)

Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @joeytaft:

Your HP PRIME  GRAPHING CALCULATOR, have available warranty. If yes, you can call, to HP Support more near your home, from ... http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If not, you can contact with DEACHP (Perú), for repair your calculator. Can write, to ... http://www.deachp.com/contacto/

Si te ha servido, para resolver, tu problema, puedes otorgar, como Solucionado. De esta manera, puede servirle, a otros usuarios. También, puedes otorgar Kudos, si quieres agradecer, la ayuda brindada. 

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@joeytaft wrote:

........or just move my workflow over to my iPhone. I just prefer the keys on the calculator to my iPhone touchscreen when entering calculations. Does anyone know if the Hp Prime app on IOS can use the same user made programs?

I have no iPhone but the Android app on my tablet, but probably it works the same for the iPhone.

The free app is not programmable so if you want to use programs you will have to buy the payed one.

You can use the same user made programs.

Transferring all content, including your programs and all the rest, from your physical Prime to your iPhone is easy:

You connect the physical Prime to the Connectivity Kit, 

Click the arrow at the left of the calculator's name.

Right-click the calculator name, and select Backup. A Backup dialog box opens.

Make a back-up on your computer.

Next connect your iPone via Wifi to the connectivity Kit.

Be sure the Connectivity Kit has Firewall permissions.

When your Prime app does not appear in the Conn Kit go to Home Settings of the Prime app, page 4, and select 'HP Classroom'.

Next in the Conn Kit select Restore in the same manner as you selected Backup earlier.

Now all content from the physical device will be transferred to the Prime app on your iPhone.

Giavedoni
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I have had the exact same problem as @joeytaft with my keyboard; half of the keys don't work. The trouble is, it's the exact same keys that don't work for @joeytaft. This makes me think that it's not a wear and tear issue (I've only been using the calculator for 9 months) but rather a software issue. Additionally, I need this calculator for school and if at all possible I'd like to find a fix that doesn't require replacing my calculator. Are there any possibilities or will I just have to get a new one?

zubiaur
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exact same error, exact same keys in an almost brand new calculator. The model number is HSTNJ-BC01. Did you guys ended up replacing the unit? I'll take it back to the store.

joeytaft
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was hoping it was a manufacturing flaw, but it sounds like it is a probable a design flaw if new calculators are still suffering from the same mode of failure. Any errors in manufacturing should have been addressed by now. FYI, I ended up buying a new one. If it fails again I am proable going back to my TI89. Not what I want to do, but not sure what other choice I have at this point.

zubiaur
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is something that made it work: I simply mindlessly  pounded on the non working keys. Pressed them many many times, repeatedly, non stop. Focused on the bottom numeric row, after a little while, numbers started appearing and all, ALL keys started working again. Super weird. Maybe it’s something with static? Although if you are in Lima, that should not be an issue.

Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,458 180 540
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Joeytaft :

Check if you can transfer your programs, according as written by user @Flash_Gordon as a solution ... https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Tablets-and-Mobile-Devices-Archive-Read-Only/Transfer-Custom-Apps-from...

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation