5 3 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Plotting Sine Functions

HP Recommended
HP Prime

Hello all,

I am currently in a trig class and we are going over graphing trig functions (sin and cos, specifically). Now, I am the odd man out because I am using an HP Prime while everyone else is using the TI-84. Now, on to my question...

We are working in radians and plotting sine and cosine functions. This is easy to do on paper because I can find the period (for example, the period of f(x) = sin(x) is 2π) and plot it on my paper. In order to see the sine function the way that helps us best, we need to set our window settings so that the range is slightly larger than the amplitude and the domain is from 0 to the period of the function. On the TI-84, this can simply be done by placing '0' in the X-Min and '2π' in the X-Max. I find that no matter whether my calculator is set to radians or degrees, I am unable to simply input '2π'. This isn't more than an inconvenience when I am inputting easy radians like '2π'. However, it gets to be annoying when I am trying to input other radian numbers. Is there a way to input this with the symbol 'π'? Or, do I have to go into the home and calculate what ever the radian is and then round and place this number in the X-Min or X-Max? 

I am also finding this problem when I try to input numbers into the table of the funtion.

I know that got wordy, but I'm finding it hard to explain exactly what I'm needing. Thank you for any help you can give.

-Matt

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Maybe you are working in RPN mode?

In that case you have to enter:

2 pi * Enter

so use RPN style of input.

Or:

'2pi' Eval Enter

So using single quote signs (on key N)

It is easier though to set Entry from RPN to Textbook, in that case you can simply enter 2pi.

You can change the settings by pressing Shift-Home (Home is the key with the little house)

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
MattPlyler
Author
Level 1
5 3 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! I am indeed in RPN mode. I didn't think about the possibility that it could affect how I enter numbers in the graphing functions too! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation