LukeHo
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Solve syntax error

HP Recommended
HP Prime

I have a new HP prime and am trying to input an equation in the solver app: KE = (1/2)*m1*v1^2+(1/2)*m2*v2^2 and I get a syntax error with the cursor pointing to the spot right after m1.   I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

This is new to me... So its probably something simple that I'm overlooking.  

BTW are there any good physics solver apps already built?

luke

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joe_Horn
Level 8
651 636 124 223
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are getting a syntax error because your Prime doesn't know what "m1" means.  The Solve App requires you to only use already-existing variables, which can either be any of the permanently built-in real-number variables A through Z, or user-created variables.  If, for example, you expect to use KE as a variable, you must first create it by typing (in Home view) 0►KE (where the ► character is the Sto button, Shift EEX).  Once your desired variables are created, you can use them in the Solve App (and everywhere else) without getting a syntax error because you taught your Prime what they mean.

Also, be aware that Prime variables are case sensitive.  M1 is not the same as m1.  M1 is a permanently built-in matrix variable name, whereas m1 is undefined and may be used as the name of a user-created variable.  Since K and E are permanently existing real-number variables, typing KE is interpreted as K*E unless you create your own variable called KE by typing 0►KE, after which Prime will know that KE is a variable.

More details about variable names, accessing variables, and deleting them, can be found in the Prime User Guide.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
Joe_Horn
Level 8
651 636 124 223
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are getting a syntax error because your Prime doesn't know what "m1" means.  The Solve App requires you to only use already-existing variables, which can either be any of the permanently built-in real-number variables A through Z, or user-created variables.  If, for example, you expect to use KE as a variable, you must first create it by typing (in Home view) 0►KE (where the ► character is the Sto button, Shift EEX).  Once your desired variables are created, you can use them in the Solve App (and everywhere else) without getting a syntax error because you taught your Prime what they mean.

Also, be aware that Prime variables are case sensitive.  M1 is not the same as m1.  M1 is a permanently built-in matrix variable name, whereas m1 is undefined and may be used as the name of a user-created variable.  Since K and E are permanently existing real-number variables, typing KE is interpreted as K*E unless you create your own variable called KE by typing 0►KE, after which Prime will know that KE is a variable.

More details about variable names, accessing variables, and deleting them, can be found in the Prime User Guide.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation