4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Virtual calculator wont connect to actual

HP Recommended
Prime
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The virtual calculator won't connect to the actual one, the "connect to" only shows "none" as the connected calculator.

Virtual version:  2014 3 31

Actual: V8291114.633

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should update it (and the calculator as well). It is 3 years out of date which is why the connection isn't happening. In fact, there is no "connect to" anymore as it is just automatic.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator_2016_12_08.exe

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/HP_Prime_Connectivity_Kit_20161208.exe

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
tdh79
Author
4 1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks very much! Strange how hard it is to find an current version of the virtual calculator..

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Normally, it will automatically search for and find it. However, firewalls can get in the way of that.

In addition, FTP protocol was used previously. However, that is more likely to be blocked then normal HTTP. So in the latest versions we've now switched to using HTTP only. Firewalls can still get in the way, but it should be less likely.

To check if you will be informed automatically of updates in the future, try a manual "check for update" in the menu of the virtual calculator. If it does something quickly, and then responds with a "no update availiable" type of message, it was able to successfully communicate and check for an update. The check happens one time every 7 days upon opening the program. So at most you'd be 1 week out of date at that point assuming you use it regularly.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Ciro_Bruno
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tim, maybe you can help me.

I've never been able to connect my physical Prime to Virtual Calculator.

I can  connect my physical HP Prime smoothly to HP Connectivity Kit and they work perfectly together.

The Virtual Calculator works fine as a standalone. But physical and Virtual don't talk to eachother!

Maybe their communication doesn't work in Mac OS environment. Is it true?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ciro,

Can you connect the virtual calculator to the Connectivity Kit?

0 Kudos
Ciro_Bruno
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I do.

Nevertheless, it's a bit tricky sometimes. For example, yesterday I was trying to grab a screenshot of a Geometry Plot, but the colors where different from the calculator display's.

Regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay.

I will describe how I can communicate with the virtual calculator.

My situation is perhaps somewhat different from yours, because I do not have the physical calculator but only the Android app on my tablet.

I also have a Windows 10 computer.

I do not know if it is possible to connect directly to the virtual calculator.

But I connect both of them to the Connectivity Kit.

Suppose I want to transfer a program to the virtual calculator, then I 

right - click the program in the conn kit, and choose "Send to class" and the program is copied to the virtual calculator.

It is also possible to transfer the complete content to the virtual calculator (and vice versa):

Click the arrow next to MY PRIME.

Right - click MY PRIME.

Choose "Clone from here".

Click the arrow next to VIRTUAL CALC (or whatever is its name)

Right - click VIRTUAL CALC

Choose "Clone to here"

For more information in the menu click Help - HP Connectivity Kit user guide.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes, the virtual calculator on the mac or windows connects to the physical units. I just checked it again to verify. However, if the connkit is running at the same time, it will grab all connections and prevent the virtual calculator from doing so. Make sure the connkit is off.

The only indication you have a connection is that you will begin to see a "Send" button appear in your catalogs. For example, the App catalog will get a "Send" icon in the 4th position on the menu. You can tap that to send the selected app. On the hardware calculator it is similar.

TW

Ciro_Bruno
Level 4
137 122 6 17
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jan and Tim, thank you very much.

In fact, following Tim's instructions, I can see the Send soft button ("Enviar" in my case). Maybe it has always been there, but I've been expecting to find something like display and keyboard mirroring.

I've just sent a program and an app back and forth and it's working fine. That's what I mostly need.

Is there also somehow to share Home or CAS contents betwheen physical and Virtual?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Ciro.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation