Did you mean: 
CuteGremlin
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Warranty period on HP 35s

HP Recommended
35s

Just out of curiosity. I just bought a brand new HP 35s to toy with. Was looking up something unrelated on HP's website, and it asked me to enter serial number, and to my surprise the next page claimed that the warranty expired 9 years ago in 2011. Is the warranty start date for HP calculators based on date of manufacture or date of purchase? Based on the serial number it would seem my calculator was manufactured in February of 2010 indeed, which aligns with what the page suggests to be start date for the warranty period (ending in February 2011). I'd kind of expect it to either start on the date of purchase or the end-of-life date for the product model, whichever is older. Not on the date of manufacture. Right, wrong?

It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever have to use the warranty for a product this simple. But it still surprised me and made me curious.

Unrelated to above, I guess I'm also some number of years too late to get my hands on a printed copy of the User Guide?

1 REPLY 1
CuteGremlin
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmmm... Actually, I might be wrong when decoding the serial number. Just noticed that the packaging has (c) 2015. So it must have been produced in 2015 or later. I'm assuming the format of the serial number is three letters for the location (PHA, which I assume is Phillipines), follow by single-digit year code (0, which could be either 2010 or 2020), followed by two digit week (07, indicating mid-February), followed by remainder of the serial number (numbers and letters).

Is this correct?

If yes, that would mean manufacture date was really in February 2020 (because Copyright on the packaging is past 2010). So, now I'm confused why the HP website claims my warranty started in 2010 and expired in 2011!?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation