30 25 2 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

When I can or cannot use the CAS mode?

HP Recommended
HP Prime G2
Other

Please, how to know when I can or cannot use the CAS mode?

In other words, which functionally must use the CAS mode?

I have an HP Prime for one week, and I am still having a problem figuring out it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JLuis2
Author
Level 3
30 25 2 0
Message 12 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The command was SLOPE(2x(Sqr) – 9x,2) with lower case (x) and return was zero.

I hope that HP have this bug in its bug list.

Thanks a lot for your time on this!😉

CAS mode Image.png

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
11 REPLIES 11
JLuis2
Author
Level 3
30 25 2 0
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From the User Guide:

Adding text
The text you can enter directly is shown by the orange characters on the keys. These characters can only be
entered in conjunction with the and keys. Both uppercase and lowercase characters can be
entered, and the method is exactly the opposite in CAS view than in Home view.

Can I make it the same in Home and CAS mode?

Corruptissima
Level 5
114 113 26 45
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Generally Home and CAS environment are not same. Although, one can use CAS command in Home, depending on whether you are in Text, Algebraic or RPN mode the command are entered differently as well.

Just think as Home mode is for approximate numerical calculations and CAS is for Exact mode calculations.

I'd like to advise you to visit this site where great deal of experts are willing to give you some better answers;

HP Forums (hpmuseum.org)

I've also used HP48 to 50G RPN/RPL calculators in the past but the Prime despite being more powerful it take little time to getting use to it, especially coming from older models mentioned. However, once you get use to Prime you'll appreciate its speed and CAS capabilities.

JLuis2
Author
Level 3
30 25 2 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer and advice.

But I would like to bring to this post some comments:

• I opened another post named “SLOPE(2X(Sqr) – 9X)” (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/SLOPE-2X-Sqr-9X/td-p/8037621). In there, I was requesting help because the Slope function was not working on CAS mode. After it was answered, I figure out that the parameter (x) should be on the upper case.
    Why does CAS mode allow me to enter the lower case and give me a not correct result?
  • Why the enter method for both uppercase and lowercase characters is exactly the opposite in CAS view than in Home view for both uppercase and lowercase characters?
  • Could it be possible to have a setting indication for “Entry” (RPN/Algebraic/Text) as we have for “Angle” at the top screen?

Thanks

Corruptissima
Level 5
114 113 26 45
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ljuis,

Look close at different use of slope and SLOPE in the Picture below.

Using the help key to find the use slope for line or points, whilst the SLOPE is for solving SLOPE of the equation.

Hope this helps.

In general, if you are un sure press help key then select tree -> search -> then type in the command line. continue to search until you find the appropriate command. In the command, It will explicitly show command and example in either UPPER case or Lower case usage.

slope lowercase.pngSLOPE.png
Corruptissima
Level 5
114 113 26 45
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is another example of same command in Home RPN mode and CAS mode.

Home ModeHome ModeCas ModeCas Mode

As you cand see the home mode produce numerical answer and pressing a b/c Key will produce close fraction of the answer.

Whereas the CAS mode produced exact number.

Also, RPN mode in Home mode you need to put CAS command enclosed in " " then type CAS in command line and Enter key to complete the calculation.

RPN ModeRPN ModeRPN Mode ResultsRPN Mode Results

e.g. solving "cZeros({(x^2+4*y^2) = 3,x = (-5*y^2),(-z^2) = (3*x)},{x,y,z})"

Produce

[[−1.37763888346,0.524907398207,−2.03295761156],[−1.37763888346,0.524907398207,2.03295761156],[−1.37763888346,−0.524907398207,−2.03295761156],[−1.37763888346,−0.524907398207,2.03295761156],[2.17763888346,0.659945283105*,−2.55595709087*],[2.17763888346,0.659945283105*,2.55595709087*],[2.17763888346,−0.659945283105*,−2.55595709087*],[2.17763888346,−0.659945283105*,2.55595709087*]]

Corruptissima
Level 5
114 113 26 45
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgot to add that slope command in CAS is for line or points. So, when you've entered slope(equation,Number) it didn't fit the command structure therefore it returned 0. Where as SLOPE(euqation,Number) fulfilled the command condition so gave a correct answer.

JLuis2
Author
Level 3
30 25 2 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you

The pictures are not showing. I will check again later.

Corruptissima
Level 5
114 113 26 45
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ljuis,

I've see your post on HPMUSEUM site. I'm writing a reply here, hoping that you'll get the notification email.

Simple answer is no. You cannot have upper and lower case setting to be same in HOME and CAS.

All of the Prime's commands are case sensitive. The command set of CAS environments are, in general, lower case with some exception like "Airy Bi", "colDim", "CopyVar" etc. And, to call CAS command from HOME you must type CAS.(cas_command) in the command line (even this can be tricky at times too), you simply cannot enter the CAS command by itself in HOME, even typing the command in lowercase.

All HOME commands including variables MUST be in UPPERCASE, except for Program call. Exceptions are explained below. However, In CAS, Both uppper case variables, commands and programs are accesible.

If you look at page 107 of the user manual(Third Edition: December 2017). It shows that SLOPE is built in function and irrespective of whether your calculator is in Home or CAS it's accesible from toolbox as SLOPE only. Because, this SLOPE is Part of Function Apps command set.

The "slope" (CAS Command) command stirctly deals with two sets of points or line and point. Therefore, it is entirely different command.

Have a look at Ctlg menu from page 457 onwards, it will list commands that to be typed in exact form of UPPPER case, Lower case Or Upper and lower case mix. if you type otherwise the command will not work.

If, lets say, you have wrritten a program and named FIBOS then you must type in FIBOS both in CAS and HOME to run FIBOS program.

Here is a example of FIBOS program. To create the program goto Program ( Shift then 1) touch on New, name the program such as FIBOS then paste the following into the Vitual Prime on your PC

EXPORT FIBOS(N)
BEGIN
LOCAL k,a,b,nextTerm;
a:=0;
b:=1;
//Make initial list N lenght
MAKELIST(a,a,1,N,1)▶L1;
//Put each number into list
FOR k FROM 1 TO N DO
a▶L1(k);
nextTerm:=a + b;
a:= b;
b:=nextTerm;
END;
RETURN L1;
END;

This program calculates Fibonacci sequence of N.
To run a program in RPN mode type 20 Enter FIBOS Enter
In Text, Algebraic or CAS mode type FIBOS(20).
If you type fibos(20) in CAS it will simply return fibos(20) as there is no program nor command named fibos. However, FIBOS program does. Just for an experiment Change the FIBOS(N) to Fibos(N) after the EXPORT , in first line of the program, then press ESC to save the program. Try to Run the program by calling FIBOS(20) or fibos(20) it will cause error in HOME mode. In CAS it will simply return whatever you've typed unless you've typed in Fibos(20).

Again the calling of any command or program must match the builtin commands in the catalog or the Function you've made in a program after EXPORT. So in general, if you want the programs to be available in HOME it's good idea to NAME the Function call in Uppercase ie first line of program as EXPORT FUNCTION(optional parameters). Since alpha mode in HOME is capital letters, unlike the CAS HOME.

Lastly, one of the reason the Prime has both HOME and CAS is to diable the CAS, Program and Notes etc during the EXAM mode so that it can be allowed in some exams like SAT, AP and IB Diploma etc.

Hope this helps

JLuis2
Author
Level 3
30 25 2 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very well explained, thanks for that!

I learned a lot from it.😁

But I will try once more before closing this post:

• Why does CAS mode allow me to enter the lower case and give me a not correct result?
  • Why does it not return Error: Syntax Error?

Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation