Intern
Intern
24 16 0 3
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why I can not use laplace() using degrees values?

{CF4B8961-8980-4D72-9AB8-C30FA4EEED9F}.png"This function works only in radians only". Whyyy?????

I'd like to calc some laplace transform using degrees, but seems HP Prime only accept functions in radians. Why that?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @GabrielM8 :

Unfortunely, the function laplace and ilaplace or invlaplace work only in radians.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
PD : The experience is like a comb. It will not do you any good, if you are bald.
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
135 120 6 16
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Gabriel

By means of Math, the harmonic functions (sin and cosine) are defined for Arcs, not for Angles, as arguments. Naturally, angles expressed in Degrees and arcs expressed in Radians are proportional. That's why it makes sense to use Angles as arguments for harmonic functions in calculators and tables (i guess you've never seen a trig table).

In the Physics (including Engineering), when you treat any oscilation, such as Harmonic Movement or Eletromagnetic Wave, you're allways dealing with something like 2*pi*f*t, where f is frequency and t is time. When they're multiplied they become adimensional, remaining only Radians as the unit of 2*pi arc.

When you do so, the 2*pi arc (in radians) and f (in Hz) are tighten together in a angular frequency expressed in Radians per Second. Converting this frequency into Degrees per Second may turn your Math sentence incoherent if there's any other term reffering to frequency in any part of your system. That's why such transformation (eg Laplace) virtually never happens in Degrees in any calculator.

I'm not sure I have been clear. Please ask me if you'd like to have more info.

Regards,

Ciro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation