Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Wrong result evaluation in CAS mode of HP Prime

HP Recommended
HP Prime

I forgot to turn off the CAS mode when calculating on some chart, but found it returned some weird results which doesn't make sense.

IMG_3895.JPG

Without CAS mode enabled, this would not occur. As the result should be 0 in this case.

No matter how I change the settings in CAS mode, it would not output a correct result.

It makes me worried about my previous calculations. Is this a BUG? The software version of my calculator is 2.1.14433(2020 01 21) with hardware version D, CAS version 1.5.0.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 8
568 555 102 184
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, it's not a bug, but is due to the way that CAS uses binary floating point numbers instead of BCD like Home does.  A simple example of this unexpected but understandable behavior is this:

0.5-0.3-0.2 --> 1.7763568394E-15

This does make sense if you keep in mind that CAS represents floating point numbers in binary (not in decimal) using 48 bits for the mantissa, and although 0.5 can be represented exactly in binary, 0.3 and 0.2 cannot, which leads to inevitable roundoff errors.  Same with your example; none of the three numbers in your example can be represented exactly in binary, so CAS uses the best it can do using 48 bits.  The format command helps reveal what's going on:

format(0.5-0.3-0.2, "a12") --> "0x1.0000000000p-49"

format(n, "a12") means "Show me the internal binary representation of n".  The above example means "0.5-0.3-0.2 in CAS gives a result which is exactly equal to 2^(-49)".  So that's the smallest possible error for approximated inputs like these, so CAS actually did the best it could.

In general, use Home for crunching floating-point reals, since it's optimized for that.  Use CAS for exact inputs (that is, numbers which contain no decimal point anywhere) and/or symbolic math, since it's optimized for those operations.  Notice that CAS gets your example exactly correct if the numbers are typed in exact form:

84245548/1000 - 842455/10 - 48/1000 --> 0

People often recommend using the exact() function in CAS to convert floating point reals into exact ratios of integers, but I try to avoid that, since the output of exact() is only an approximation of the input, and so it too can introduce unexpected roundoff errors into a calculation.  Just avoid typing decimal points in CAS and you'll get exact answers.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! learned a lot from your reply.

But it's still kind of annoying to pay attention to current mode when starting using it. Hope developers could make some optimization if possible.

Anyway, thank you again for your kindly help!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation